Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to use Digital Clock Manager of FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonnightingale

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
the manual of my spatran 3E fpga kit says

Alternatively, use
the FPGA’s Digital Clock Manager (DCM) to generate or synthesize other frequencies from
the on-board 50 MHz oscillator.

Lets suppose i want to ues clock of 30 MHZ. HOW CAN I DO IT.

easy way is to use xilinx coregenrator , coregen tool to create a pll divided clock from the 50 MHz crystal on borad.
pls go through the coregen help; its simple and easy to use

I am using free version of ISE webpack 12.3
fromwhere i can launch coregenerator

hi,
from project navigator, add a new file --> goto ip type a name and click nest, this will open up a screen of coregen luisting all core availabe for the device..
some of the cores are free and some are time bound for say 4 hours. DCM is free unless there are other cores which are really costly.
onces in this tool its self explanatory u can use xilinx site or ise help , post a qurry if not working i can send screen shots

Hi,

Here is an Xilinx ISE 12.x tutorial with step-by-step instructions on how to generate a DCM as well as many other interesting tips.

Hope this helps in your endeavor!

Attachments

• ise_tutorial_ug695.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 209
Thanks a lot bigdogguru.
Can i make clock of any frequency by DCM.
my board is spatran 3E, its built in clock is 50 MHZ.
Can i make 40, 38 or any MHZ clock
Can i also make clock higher than 50 MHZ, i mean 60 MHZ by DCM? what is upper limit

What is DCM deskew

Last edited:

Hi,

Here is the "Using Digital Clock Managers (DCMs) in Spartan-3 FPGAs" app note, which I thought I uploaded earlier, apparently not. It goes into great detail concerning implementation of DCMs on Spartan 3E, limitations, features and capabilities.

It should provide the answers your looking for.

Ciao

Attachments

• xapp462.pdf
    796.4 KB · Views: 150

Here is the "Using Digital Clock Managers (DCMs) in Spartan-3 FPGAs" app note, which I thought I uploaded earlier, apparently not. It goes into great detail concerning implementation of DCMs on Spartan 3E, limitations, features and capabilities.

As per the spartan-3E appnotes page.

01/05/2006 XAPP462 - Using Digital Clock Managers (DCMs) in Spartan-3 FPGAs(PDF, ver 1.1, 796 KB )
For the latest version of this application note, see the DCM chapter in User Guide UG331, Spartan™-3 Generation FPGA User Guide.

Which is why I previously linked to ug311, page 65. But like you said, it contains all the answers to the OP's questions regarding DCMs.

Hope moonnightingale gets his DCM running. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back