Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use a cutted USB-C cable and a wall adaptor to get 5V supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhl777

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am cutting a USB A-C cable and want to use the USB-C end to connect to a wall adaptor to generate a 5V power supply.

When I cut the wire, there are four wires in the thread, one red wire, one green wire, one white wire and the GND. When the USB-C connector of this cable is connected to the wall adaptor, the measured voltage between the red wire and the GND is ~0.725V,

I assume I need to do some rework for the green or white wires to add the pull up/down resistors. Would anyone advise me what should I do to generate a 5V DC between red and GND?

Thank you!
USB-C CHARGER.JPG

the voltage between red and black should be 5.0 V DC

when you wrote ~0.725 V, did you mean ~ to indicate about, or AC?
if you measured about 0.7 V DC, you may have a bad wall adapter, or you have the connection
overloaded - that is, you're trying to draw too much current

why would you want to add pull up resistors to the white and green wires, if the goal is a power supply?

Hi,

Wikipedia page, and many more, has the connector pinout in text and as pictures. You could do a continuity test to check which are actually the V+ and the ground wires based on the pins.

USB-C

Status
Not open for further replies.