Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to understand TVS diode specifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

udhay_cit

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to use TVS diodes for my automotive design applications. I am using 3.3V for my microcontrollers with bidirectional TVS diode protected I/O ports & for that i selected the D5V0L1B2WS TVS diode from my basic electronics knowledge. Please advise me is it a good selection...

Further i want to know the following parameters of TVS diode
1.Reverse standoff voltage.
2.Voltage Breakdown.
3.Power(power calculation)
4.Clamping voltage.

I think it is difficult to suggest a part number without showing my circuit diagram, but atleast i need to know what the parameters are meant for... specially the clamping voltage...

Thanks & regards
Udhay

Further i want to know the following parameters of TVS diode
1.Reverse standoff voltage.
2.Voltage Breakdown.
3.Power(power calculation)
4.Clamping voltage.

You may go through the application notes from Vishay. This is quite informative. The links are given below:
www.vishay.com/docs/88436/appnote.pdf

Let me know if you need more clarifications

You would preferably use an undidirectional TVS diode to protect µP IO-ports, but the bipolar type can work, too. There should be a series resistor between TVS diode and IO-port, otherwise the TVS diode can't fully protect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.