Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to turn car coil into transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xsports49

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am pretty new to this so i could really use some help. My question is how can i turn a car coil into a transformer for my vic circuit?
I was told i could use a bridge rectifire but im not sure how to hook it up or if its the best way?

whats a "vic circuit" ???

if you mean car coil - the ignition coil - it is basically a pulse transformer,
and the secondary pulse voltage is like 40,000 volts +

you mean applying a bridge rectifier to that ? !!!

maybe you should explain what your trying to achieve ?

sorry i didnt explain myself better.
Yes a car ignituin coil. and yes i am trying to get around 25 to 45kv.
VIC stands for voltage intensifier circuit. I could use a toriode or a tesla coil but i already have a car coil so i want to try to use it.
I no you need to send some kind of signal to it to get the high voltage out of it, so i am asking what i can use to make this work?

obviously you haven't tried a google search, because I recall seeing many tesla coil projects/circuits using car ignition coils and driving them in various ways on the web.
simplest was a 555 oscillator driving a power transistor or MOSFET that switches the coil.

Although known as an 'Ignition coil', they are technically 'Autotransformers', and have the secondary grounded with the primary, + and - in, + out only.

You would need some pretty special diodes to rectify 45kv. Then again, you could series/parallel a heap of 1000v silicon diodes to get an acceptable voltage/current rating and go from there. Cheap.

High voltage rectification is usually done with Massive and expensive SCRS (see semikron) FYI.

Anzic.

Status
Not open for further replies.