Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] how to store received stream of serial data? (PIC16F877A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodstanur

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, now i just started learning USART in PIC. I can now read serial data from RCREG register of PIC16F877A. But now i want to store successive keyboard pressings (in hyperterminal) in 30 variables.
If i press keyboard then corresponding ascii is loaded in RCREG and i can save it in a variable. Upto that its working...
NOW, PLS give me a small idea how to store a 10 successive keypress in 10 variables...

As Embedded Partner said, use an array of characters with size equal to the number of characters you want to receive and, a pointer to that array.
Here's a code for a function that receive a stream of characters from the hyper terminal.
Code:
char *Receive_MSG(char *String, unsigned short int MSG_Length)
{						
	unsigned short int Index = 0;	// Message Index

while(Index < MSG_Length)
	{	
		String[Index] = Receive_Byte();
		if(String[Index] != 13 && String[Index] != 10)
		{
			String[Index + 1] = '\0';		// Set the next character to NULL
			Index++;
		}
		else
		{
			String[Index + 1] = '\0';		// Set the next character to NULL
			break;
		}
	}
	return String;
}

Hi vinodstanur,

If you use C, above mentioned arrays and pointers can be used easily for the purpose.
If you use assembly, use Indirect-addressing with INDF and FSR registers (see datasheet for details).

Thanks

for serial communications the best approach is to use circular FIFO - search in the forum, there was already some discussion about this. Using simply an array is not very good approach - you'll find out that during reading if write event occurs you'll get conflicts. Make it professional - use FIFO

Status
Not open for further replies.