Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to start building a waveguide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boot_strap

waveguide..?

how should i start building a waveguide..?

Re: waveguide..?

It is simple. You need just some pipe wich internal surface is covered with some conducting material. In general waveguides a manifactured from brass, covered with very high quality layer of silver. Geometric dimensions determine frequency range of wavegude, propagated modes and characteristic impedance.

waveguide r two types one is metallic waveguide other is dielectric waveguide(optical).
waveguide is nothing but a mettalic or dielcectric tube having different geometrical shapeeg,rectangular,circular etc.

waveguide..?

waveguide in the general sense means metallic pipes of proper dimension.For enabling them to be used for wave propagation, the design seems to be critical.
Usually a rectangular w.g has the dimensions (a,b a>b) of its cross section as design parameters. They can be designed using the famous equation for cutoff frequency in terms of a,b,permittivity and permeability of the medium inside it(usually air).Also mode numbers m and n are to be decided depending on which mode is to be propagated.For TE1,0 mode (most appropriate in rect. w.g.) m=1 and n=0.
A waveguide will operate above the cutoff frequency.So it is a high pass filter.If the solution 'a' is obtained, b is chosen as a/2.

boot_strap said:
Start yourself with a real imagination.

Consider a specific tunnel in civil engineering not that very long where you can see begining and end of tunnel.
Why cell phones can not work at this tunnel? There you have a waveguide, dimensions in tunnel...

in ADS there is a tool called LineCalc. It helps a lot.

Take a look in this book:
book:Waveguide Handbook
author:Marcuvitz

b.

a metal pipe is a waveguide.

best regards

boot_strap said:

i suggest you to first get a hanbook of waveguides for your self ...the rest of the job will follow immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.