Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to solve the infeasible operator error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

info_req

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
helo dear,
I am using (i) (std_logic_vector)*(integer) to shift std_logic_vector right
ii) sll, shl, etc for shift left / right but it is not working. I am also adding appropriate libraries

ERROR is like: infeasible operator.

what may be the problem???

thanks in advance

Re: infeasible opearotr

You can do it manually to avoid this problem:
For example, a 5 bit number to be shifted left by 3:
num(4 downto 2)<=num(2 downto 0);
num(2 downto 0)<="00";

If you want to use multiplication, then you should use a binary number instead of integer:
e.g:
num2<=num1*"100";--shift by 2, num2's size should be larger than num1 by 2.
num1<=num2(4 downto 0);--if inside process, will hold value of the previous clock, be careful.

and you must include ieee.std_logic_unsigned.*;

Note that the multiplication method consumes more hardware if you want to synthesize your code.

Re: infeasible opearotr

VHDL wont allow you to use operators like * on different data types. That is your problem.
But if you HAVE to do it, then you will have to define your own operator, which would like writing a function, which would take an std_logic_vector type, and integer type, multiply it and return the result in the data type of your choice, this is also called oprator overloading.
Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back