Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to solve Kicad errors about pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosparra

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Kicad errors

I am trying out Kicad for the first time. I've found that once I got my head around the seperate component and footprint libraries it all makes sense. But I've got a couple of issues I can't seem to figure out.

(I can't get the image to show in the right place in this post?)

Firstly, schematic rules check errors:
My PSU circuit looks as follows and the arrow indicates the following error
ErrType(4): Conflict problem between pins. Severity: warning
@ (8.5500 ",1.5500 "): Cmp U1, Pin VO (power_out) connected to
@ (2.6000 ",4.6000 "): Cmp MCU1, Pin 7 (BiDi) (net 28)

(See psu.png)
MCU1, Pin 7 is the AVCC pin, which is connected to VCC as shown below. This is intentional, but I can't figure out how to get rid of the warning.
(See vcc.png)

The second warning says the following:
ErrType(3): Pin connected to some others pins but no pin to drive it
@ (5.6000 ",5.2500 "): Cmp #PWR014, Pin 1 (power_in) not driven (Net 10)

This relates to a switch as shown below, whats up with that?
(See switch.png)

Secondly, the voltage regulator shown in the PSU circuit, remains unconnected in the board. The error I get is something like Module [U1]: Pad [GND] not found and then repeats for the other two pads. I suspect it is because the pin names are incorrect. I made a new footprint with the correct names, but the errors stay the same.

Any help would be appreciated, as I have read just about every tutorial out there and none of them cover the issues I have.

Kicad errors

I cannot help with specific Kicad problems, but in general I get dozens of DRC warnings on my schematics. Most DRC checks are crude and assume that a chip power pin must go to a net named as a power net, for example. If you put a small inductor in series with the power pin and a decoupler then it warns that it isn't connected to power. Similarly if you connect a microcontroller input to power it will warn you. All I do is look through the warnings to make sure there aren't any "real" errors.

So, your "floating" input to a switch is fine, provided you have defined a pullup/pulldown in the micro input.

I am not sure about the others - I am not sure of the significance of the little circles at the connection points (some of which seem to be missing).

Keith.

Re: Kicad errors

bosparra said:
Secondly, the voltage regulator shown in the PSU circuit, remains unconnected in the board. The error I get is something like Module [U1]: Pad [GND] not found and then repeats for the other two pads. I suspect it is because the pin names are incorrect. I made a new footprint with the correct names, but the errors stay the same.
Is there anyone, familiar with Kicad, that might be able to assist with the issue above?

Kicad errors

and i got the same trouble.

Re: Kicad errors

Make sure the pin names match between the schematic and footprint. If they don't, you will need to make a copy of one or the other and change the pin names to match. For example, an LED may have pins named A and K, while the 0603 footprint may name the pins 1 and 2.

As for the power pin conflict, you can ignore it or fix the model - in this case, I'd edit the symbol for the processor and set Avcc to be a power in pin.
/mike

Kicad errors

Thanks for the reply Mike. That was also my thought, that the pin names are different. I made a copy of the footprint and made the names the same. I just did it again, importing the netlist into the pcb gives the following:
[TO220_VERT2]
Module [U1]: Pad [VI] not found
Module [U1]: Pad [VO] not found
Module [U1]: Pad [GND] not found
Component "RV1": Mismatch! module is [TO220_VERT] and netlist said [TO220_VERT2]

I suppose the issue could be related to the module mismatch, in that it is not finding the new module TO220_VERT2. I think I am still missing something in creating new modules, but not sure what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back