Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to simulate PLL's locking time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsoul

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to simulate PLL's locking time?

How to simulate PLL's jitter?

Detailed demenstration will be very good :)

Any papers or related data are also welcome.

Thank you!~

to simulate lock time , i guess u should monitor the Vctrl after changing the divider from Nmin to Nmax and see Vctrl settle to a certain error.

icsoul

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yeah use the transient simulation , and change the divider and monitor control voltage , by this u can get the lock time , this is the most accurate

khouly

icsoul

safwatonline said:
to simulate lock time , i guess u should monitor the Vctrl after changing the divider from Nmin to Nmax and see Vctrl settle to a certain error.

It is a method.

But the control voltage in lock state is different for reference input of different frequency. Then what reference value of control voltage should be set for different freq?

Added after 5 minutes:

khouly said:
yeah use the transient simulation , and change the divider and monitor control voltage , by this u can get the lock time , this is the most accurate

khouly

I think the lock time must be measured in the control voltage curve under this method. That means it is not so accurate :)

Mostly, I simulate on block level with VISSIM.

The pdf-attachement shows the VCO-Control voltage vs. time.
In this example, lock-in time is 2 msec.

Here is an alternative method:
Create a Lissajous-picture with the input and the VCO frequnecy.
If both are equal in frequency but out of phase by 90 deg. there will be a circle on the display when the loop has locked.

Perhaps this helps.
LvW

i think u should run the VCO in open loop and get the freq vs Vctrl and use this curve as ur reference.

run trans in spectre or .tran in hspice, and see vcontrol voltage or see the two input signal of pd/pfd.

LvW said:
Mostly, I simulate on block level with VISSIM.

The pdf-attachement shows the VCO-Control voltage vs. time.
In this example, lock-in time is 2 msec.

Here is an alternative method:
Create a Lissajous-picture with the input and the VCO frequnecy.
If both are equal in frequency but out of phase by 90 deg. there will be a circle on the display when the loop has locked.

Perhaps this helps.
LvW

Hi, LvW

Is the simulation in the attachment a behavior level or transistor level?

What's the meanings of "Lissajous-picture"?

Its on behaviour level based on a block diagram with linear units.

Lissajous: Suppose you have two identical frequencies which are out of phase by 90 deg . Display one signal NOT vs. time but vs. the other signal on the x-axis.
In this case you will get a picture like a circle if both amplitudes are equal; otherwise it will be some sort of ellipse.
You can do this with each scope and by simulation as well ("choose x-axis")

icsoul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back