Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to set port impedance in HFSS to simulate RFID antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdessalam

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am confused by a RFID antenna simulation problem for many days. If the chip's impedance is 20-j160, the antenna designed should have a impedance of 20+j160 for max power transfor. However, in HFSS, version 10, the port impedance is 50 ohm.Can I set the port imepdance to be 20-j160 which is the impedance of the chip? If can't, how to set the port's impedance if I want to simulate the RFID antenna attached with a chip correctly.Especially the Gain, S11 and bandwith?
Here must be many people who are familar with the RFID antenna simulation using HFSS.Please help me and give your suggetstions. Thank you a lot.

I cannot refer to HFSS 10 neigher, but in newer versions there is an option in the port properties to renormalize the port impedance.
Anyways, if you tell HFSS to assume a certain impedance at the antenna port, which does not equal the real Z_0 of your design, your simulation might work, but certainly gives you wrong results regarding S11, gain etc.

As far as I know, the magnitude of Z_0 should be matched to the feeding network. Therfore, you should modify your antenna design in order to match your mag(Z_0)=|20-j160|~=161 Ohm.

If you feed your antenna through a microstrip line, you might use a microstrip line imedance calculator (to be found a google) to get an idea about the dimensions necessary to match this port impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back