Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to select the right stepper motor to actuate a valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldriver

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i am working on a project which requires me to control a valve using a stepper motor. I need guidance on how to figure out the size of the stepper motor that will be able to open and close the valve comfortably, such that the torque shouldn't be too low neither too high, we don't want to leave the valve un-opened and neither do we want to break the valve. My motor driver's rating is 600 mA which implies that i need a stepper motor that is round about that current rating. Finally,what is the rating of the power supply recommended that will be used to power the stepper motor ?

To re-phrase my query in points:

1.How do i calculate the torque required to open and close a valve?
2.How do i figure out the type of stepper motor that will be able to actuate the valve comfortably?
3.How do i figure out the current of a stepper motor. Usually,the stepper motors do not have current labels on it.
4.How do i figure out the current rating of the power supply such that it provides enough current to the stepper motor.

Last but not the least, what does it mean when an h-bridge specifies its current rating as 600 mA, does it imply that the motor should be round about that rating OR does it mean that power supply connected to it must be HIGHER than the current rating.

The question can't be answered without knowing the valve specification, particularly required operation torque and tolerated maximum torque.

The question can't be answered without knowing the valve specification, particularly required operation torque and tolerated maximum torque.

The valve can just be a water tap. I will decouple the tap from the valve and attach my motor instead. I can't be quite specific about the the valve but what kind of specification are you looking for? Describe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back