Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to run Windows applications on Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohamed saleh

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all
i want to ask a question

can i run my windows applications" such exe appz , games , torrent clients , softwares , and other appz" under linux

i have suze linux 10

is there a patch or plug in for linux to do that

i need my windows programs badly "because i am an engineer and there is a lot of tools on the net but for windows as you know" and at the same time i fed up with windows because it hangs alot

please help me

Windows applications

There is a program callled 'Wine' which will run windows programs on Linux.
Not all windows programs, you will have to give it a go?

Windows applications

yes, you can use wine and Qemu to run windows application on linux. However, not all application can be executed.

Re: Windows applications

use wine, is good for run windows programs, you can download it from www.winehq.com there is the last version, the manual etc, whatever you want to know about it

Windows applications

I use VMWare Workstation (on SuSE 10.1)

you can use VMWare, but you should have a good RAM memory, because is like if you are running 2 OS at the same time, maybe both will be slow. i recommend wine because is a linux application for emulate windows software no all the OS, nut if you have more than 1GB of RAM use VMWare is the easiest way.

If you do decide to run Windows under VMware or Qemu, try to make it as minimal an installation as possible (ex. don't install anything unnecessary that will consume CPU cycles such as anti-virus unless you access the internet and download etc. Even if you do need an anti-virus, you can select to just have it run periodically and not all the time in the background).

In other apps, you can look for alternatives. For example, as a torrent client, Azureus is very good. For word processing, you have OpenOffice.org. For CD/DVD burning, you have K3b, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.