Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to retain memory with a PIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Cool

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i think this is a stupid question, but atleast that means it is easily answered.

lets say i program a pic chip in with a PC to programmer connection.

then, i take the pic chip out of the programmer and insert it into the target board.

ok, does the program get 'lost' during the transfer? because there is NO power supply on the chip when i physicall transfer it to the traget board. i know this is what EEPROM is for, to remember code/data when no power applied. but the programmers all program to Flash memory. how does this flash memory rememeber your program??

Mr.Cool

Hi Mr.Cool

Flash Memory is a kind of non-violate memory device, it function same as EEPROM, and the only different between flash memory and eeprom is, flash memory device having a faster erase and programming speed.

rgds,
SkyNet

The Flash memory has special kind of CELLS that retain the charge induced in them while programming. When you take the power off, the charge remains in it for years & can only be removed if you reprogram the chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back