Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to resolve a large odd harmonics issue in ADC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiwai

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing a 10bit pipeline ADC. The schematic simulation shows that the odd harmonics are too large(especially,the third harmonic is 55dB).
Can anybody give me some suggestion on how to find the reason?
Thanks.

Re: help for ADC design

make sure the settling time is enough

waiwai said:
I am designing a 10bit pipeline ADC. The schematic simulation shows that the odd harmonics are too large(especially,the third harmonic is 55dB).
Thanks.

sampling swith
opamp (settling time)
reference (settling time)

the bandwidht and settling time should be enough and make sure that there is no doublet in ur frequency response

waiwai said:
Thanks.

May be u can check with the analog input itself which may include the harmonics. If u r supplying with the harmonics there is no way u can suppress it in the ADC. Try to filter out all the harmonic present in the input.
Regards,
basu

help for ADC design

I also have a question. I think the reason why setting time will lead to harmonic is that it has fixed periodic error. Is it right?

help for ADC design

Make sure Fsample/Fsignal is not an integer otherwise your quantization noise will be periodic and will introduce errors in the spectrum.

I've read strange advices here. If he is *designing* an ADC and not *using* a pipeline ADC into an application than he can't filter any harmonic at the input (this could be antialising ?) because it's killing the analogic bandwidth. Fsample/Fsignal could be any (integer or not) as long Nyquist criteria is OK, you can't restrict even the simulation because the Fsignal is unknown and unpredictable.

I'm curious what reason he found for this behaviour and how he solved the problem.

thx,

Hi,
melc, for your kind information please refer this site which gives the procedure to find the harmonic distortion. If you go by this calculation, sampling frequency cannot be integer multiple of input frequency. This is a standard procedure followed.

**broken link removed**
regards

Status
Not open for further replies.