Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to relate polarization to theta and phi components of the electric field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mprathap

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I measured the horizontal and vertical polarized components of an antenna. How do I relate this to theta and phi components of the electric field. I figured it out to be as vertical component = theta component and horizontal component = phi component. But when I compared it with simulated results from HFSS it turns out to be the other way around. i.e., vertical = phi and horizontal = theta.

I gave a lot of thought on this, and after researching through Google, and going back to some basic vector field algebra, it is not still quite clear to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ephi,etheta spherical

Hi mprathap,

it may help when drawing your antenna to align your antenna's main electric fields vector in the Z-direciton and the orthogonal field in the xy plane. Try a simple dipole for a start. Hope it helps.

Rgz,
E7k

antenna gain from e-phi and e-theta

see attached
theta and phi in Spherical co ordinate system

ethet fields

Antenna orientation in a reference systems is arbitrary. You should orientate the antenna when you mesure it and in HFSS in the same way.

Don' confuse the angle beetwen axes x,y,z and versor theta and phi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back