Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to read the content of an I2C eeprom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerd77

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i2c reader

How can I read the content of an i2c eeprom, which is used in electronic device (it seems to be only this one device at the i2c bus)

Actually, the chip was controlled by an microprocessor, but I do not have enough access to the processor (at the moment)

In my opinion, it might be possible at least by this way:
Scanning the clock and data signals by some parallel interface. This needs only some passive logic (for security reasons probably some buffer gates)

IS THERE ANY LAYOUT AND SOFTWARE AVAILABLE DOING THIS?

In the next step, it might (might it????) be possible to adress the lines active (might be some influences if clock to device is not disconnected from processor ??)

IS THIS (THE NEXT STEP) POSSIBLE IN THAT WAY?

eeprom i2c reader

Do you know what i2c device it is?

If yes -> get the datasheet from manufacturer..

For reading out I would suggest cutting the SCL/SDA lines to MCU and connect it to a parallel port I2C interface...sure there are enough resources around building an I2C interface for LPT port (o;

Also suggesting reading some application notes from manufacturers...for example from Microchip...

lpt i2c

An eeprom can simply be removed,and placed in your programmer pod,and read.
Most eprom programmers do eeproms as well.

memplus

Soldering out the device is not what I want to do, and I have no programmer. Parallel port seems to be the "best" way for me at the moment.

And meanwhile, I have found a (dos based) programm for that reason I want to at interesting-devices from no1b4me.

Included is some software to to identify the adress of the device, use this adress to read out (or write) the device. The i/o data format is intel hex format, thats ok for me at the moment.

sti5516 jtag port

I have not continued until now (to much work at office), but found out a few things so far. Probably anybody may affirm or decline my perceptions ?

SOLUTION_1:
There are a few programms available like "Pionero", "Jtag Operator", "Jtag Tools" or "Jkeys" which might be able to read the content of the I2C-EEPROM through JTAG / DCU.
+ Advantage: no special interface needed
- Disadvantage: I have to bring the STi5516 in some special debug mode (one pin i am actually not aware of has to be set to ground)
Furthermore, I have to configure the ini files for this programs to identify my cpu / flash / i2c eeprom
- disadvantage: This operation may bring the receiver in an inoperable state (forever)

SOLUTION_2:
there are a few programs like "i2c reader (irdeep14)", "ponyprog", but they need some direct wiring to the chip.
+ advantage: no fear for blowing the box with wwrong read/write commands as may happen in solution_1
- disadvantage: i have to solder some special interface.
- disadvantage: connecting from the interface to the chip with some kind of "test clip" (or to solder the pins direct)
I do not own that adapter clip and i do not want to buy one for 30 EUR. BUT: The headset connector to my mobile phone has the same interval of contacts, therefore i might use this one, its cheap (only 2 EUR). In my opinion 3 wires might reach out for interfacing: clock, data, ground (I would assume that the eeprom is hard wired to address 000)

Am I right so far?

@davorin: is it really necessary to cut the clock and data lines? or might it be possible to put the contacts in parallel to the existing layout?

i2c reader lpt

see I2c Tools with Pic16F84 from Berty's Page
h**p://sandiding.tripod.com/iicseeker.html

how to read content of eeprom

take a look at
**broken link removed**

it is an I²C sniffer based an a avr

i2c read

if you dont want to desolder it just cut the SDA/SCL lines and report them to LPT-I2C reader
after it you make a so little solder bridge :D

pionero jtag

used a picbasic or PROTON pluss commands is very easy

Status
Not open for further replies.