Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to read register of size 32 bit using I2C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sriharsha.hs

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello folks,

I am communicating bw FPGA and a processor using I2C, where processor is a I2C master and FPGA is a slave.

I need to assign all the register width to 32 bit using 8 bit register address.

How to read/write data from register of size 32 bit wide.? I am using I2C slave which can be read and written, each reg having 8 bit wide and pointed by 8 bit wide address.?

What changes have to be done in my slave side?

Please hep guys

The master device ( FPGA ) must manage byte allocation by a simple ring counter modulo-4 ( 0 to 3 ), on reading and writing process. Nothing to do on slave side.

+++

Hi andre_teprom,

Well, thanks for replying back. I just wanted to clarify that, the master device you mentioned is FPGA. But I in my context it is some external processor which is I2C master. I would also like to ask you that, how can master device will read 32 bit data continuously or in four transaction as it only sends 8 bit register address at once. Because, once the master receives 8 bit of data from slave, it acknowledges to slave that it has received. How does my I2C slave get to know to send next set of 8 bit data and so on..?

As per the protocol standard, for every 8 bit of transaction, either the master or the slave expects for an acknowledgement. I am pretty much confused about handling at the slave part?

Please, elaborate on this.

Thank you.

Storage devices 24xx have 2 communication modes built in I2C protocol: single byte ou Block.
Decision about which to choose depends on data amount, but I suggest you start with the simplest one.

For addressing each data on 24xx device you must access individually each byte.
Just to check: The external processor you mentioned, work with C language ? What processor ?

+++

The I2C spec describes multi byte transmissions. A 32 bit read can be simply understood as a sequence of 4 byte reads. All details are up to you, e.g. the byte order or what happens after 4 bytes have been read. For addressable data entities, it's a usual option to proceed automatically with the next address.

Hey FvM,

Thanks for writing on this thread. regarding the multibyte transaction, I just wanted to know, whether reading sequence of 4 bytes will be followed continuously register address + offset or using Repeated read bit transcation.
The spec i2c spec (NXP) says about multibyte transmission and says about multibyte read and write. PLease describe much in detail about.
I have attached the snapshots of the i2c spec manual.
Thank you.

i2c1.JPGi2c2.JPG

reading sequence of 4 bytes will be followed continuously register address + offset or using Repeated read bit transcation.
You are asking exactly what?

If you add 2 more byte reads to figure 12, you get a basic 32 bit read.

The example expects that no register address is required to access the slave data, otherwise the transactions becomes more complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back