Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to raise the frequency of DSP core with FPGA stratix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartwang

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Give me a hand

I have implemented a dsp core into altera FPGA stratix.
But I find it can only run 30MHz,
How can I raise its frequnecy? and how much generally?

Re: Give me a hand

try to use amplify from synplicity ot presission synthesys from mentor to optimise your rtl design.
you can also use flor planer in manual mode to reduce the critical paths.
it is more of guss work but can give you good results.
hock

Give me a hand

which FPGA do u select?
U put ur clock to the whole clock pad?
Check them and rebuild ur project.

Hi,
If you can send me ur dsp core rtl probably I can help you.
Because speed is also decided by ur coding style!

-nand_gates

try it and make it block based.

perhaps you can change your coding style for altera device,

and you can use quartusii's logiclock to increase operating frequency.

smartwang said:
I have implemented a dsp core into @ltera FPGA stratix.
But I find it can only run 30MHz,
How can I raise its frequnecy? and how much generally?

You should have a timing closure methodology, mostly it will depend on "how much did u miss your clock"
after anything you should use a good coding style methodology "stick with reuse methodology manual book" unless your design have unavoidable asynchronous events.
In general you can meet your time according to result clock speed to required clock speed ratio:
some times it can be solved with applying more effort on PAR, "take care the PAR results always are 10% less than whatyou will get on hardware", this 10% can be done with higher effort on PAR, multi-pass par.
if you missed with 20% to 75% u may apply critical path timing constraints, static timing analysis for the design "critical paths", check your modular design in PAR, apply placement constraints "floorplanning", rgister duplication for large fanout,synthesis tool effort and global timing constraint ,consider some pipelining.
if you missed it with so much, i.e. you want a 100 MHz and you get 30 more than 100%, then I believe you should check your hierarchial design, coding style, synthesis tool constraints, consider pipelining for the whole design modules, change the whole design.

Check your most critical paths in Quartus. Then start optimising your code (ie pipelining) where those paths are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back