Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to program Atmega128?

Status
Not open for further replies.

info_req

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear,

I am trying to program Atmega128L Micro-controller but I could not be successful.

I tried it using JTAG programmer JTAGICE mk2, it programmed but later on no response from microcntroller. Programmer reads 5.1 voltage from the target board that i designed myself, but it doesn't read microcntroller device ID and donot program it. Then i tried it on ISP Programmer where it is also not programming. The same programmer is programming Atmega8 Microconroller.
I checked this circuit with Oscilloscope there PEN Low, Reset goes low, SCK clocks, MOSI also toggles repetitively but there is no MISO output.

Please tell if i am wrong or missing something ????

If you have any working circuit and programming software then plz share.

Regards,

Several years ago I used a lot of mega128l. About 10% of them were not worked with external xtal. With internal oscillator worked fine. Member max frequency for 128L is 8MHz only.

My recommendation.

Write some easy program like LED on+ wait +LED off+ wait.
Try to move it ito 128l and set fuses to internal osclillator. Check LED pin if works fine. If yes re-set fuses to external oscillator. If mcu does not work check xtal, caps, pcb, soldering. If everythig is seems ok, change MCU. Sorry.

Do not use 128l for serious projects

info_req said:
I tried it using JTAG programmer JTAGICE mk2, it programmed but later on no response from microcntroller.
Verify all the connections with the ohm meter. Does MCU look alive like previous downloaded code is executed? Or it does nothing?
Maybe the MCU is burned, or you disabled the SPIEN and JTAGEN fuses.

bohumilfulin said:
Several years ago I used a lot of mega128l. About 10% of them were not worked with external xtal. With internal oscillator worked fine. Member max frequency for 128L is 8MHz only.
This is very serious. Did you contact Atmel about it? I cannot imagine 10% of ATmega128L not to work with external crystal. Did you find any errata sheets on this issue? Serious accusations like this must be bucked up with evidence. Yes, ATmega128L supports 8MHz maximum, but I failed to notice such an information by the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.