Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to perform Soldering IC's with Heat Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

s_cihan_tek

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Soldering with Heat Gun

Hi all,

How can it be possible for IC's to be soldered using solder paste (i mean the paste which contains actual solder) and a heat gun without getting damaged? According to datasheets, most of the IC's can work under core temperatures up to 85C or even 125C for industrial grade components. But solder paste turns to actual solder at temperatures like 190C or more. How do IC's survive this temperature while getting soldered? Doesn't their core temperature rise above their maximum ratings during this period?

Regards.

Re: Soldering with Heat Gun

The temperatures you are quoting are Operating Temperatures. Manufactures also give soldering temperatures along with the time that the ic may be kept at that temp. Also note that for some IC's a graph is given for temp vs time. These also indicate pre-heat cycles etc. You should study this information for the device that you want to solder before you start. There are other options that can be done with a normal soldering iron and solder wick. The one method is just to solder all the pins shorts and all and then remove excess solder with the solder wick. I have used this for doing fine pinned FPGA's with > 200 pins and it worked out ok

Reactions: tpetar

s_cihan_tek

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanks for the response

So far i've been using the technique you mentioned for soldering smd components. I just want to try other methods.

Most of the datasheets i've seen until now had only information about the absolute maximums of storage temperature and lead temperature while soldering.

Absolute maximum of lead temperature while soldering was most of the time greater than 200C. I guess the temperature of the leads increases much faster than the temperature of the package when i heat the part with a heat gun and therefore the part won't get damaged if i stop heating it after the paste turns to solder right?

Take a look at page 68 of the attached data sheet - has good description of heating vs time - also a very interesting IC :)

Status
Not open for further replies.