Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to modify the drivers to make the VCP always assigned to the same name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmcousineau

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am writing a program, and making a small device that reads some info, then send it by VCP to my program. I am using an FT232 and what I would like to know is how if possible I could modify the drivers to make the VCP for that particular chip to always be assigned to the same name.The reason I would like to do this is so that the UI can be simple and not have to have a com port interface.

I have never written or edited drivers before and would like to know if this is A. possible, and provided it is possible, B. what the difficulty level is.

Cheers

Re: USB to COM Project

It's more easy to configure the device for low level d2xx driver access, not using VCP. The d2xx driver has functions to identify adapters by name, serial number etc.

Re: USB to COM Project

Alright, I think that sounds reasonable but practically speaking I don't know where to start. My application is being programmed in Visual C# if that helps. I do hope to make the whole thing driver and all into a single executable package to simplify things for the end user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back