Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to modify a RS232 sniffer so that it does not load the communication link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
RS232 buffer

I wanted to sniff communication between two RS232 devices. Thishttps://embeddedfreak.wordpress.com/2008/08/17/rs232-serial-sniffermonitoring-circuit/ link presents a simple solution but I want to make sure that my 'sniffer' does not load the communication link.

To that effect, I was wondering if I could use a MAX-232 as a 'looping' buffer:
RS232 in -->TTL out-->TTLl in-->Rs232 out

The MAX-232 will be powered by an external 5v. Is this a fool proof way of sniffing without loading the line? Does the MAX232 even act as a buffer in this configuration? If not. are there inexpensive RS232 buffer ICs available? All the 74xx range of buffer ICs seem to work only at TTL levels.

Re: RS232 buffer

I had never problems operating RS232 with a fanout of two, connecting a second MAX232 or similar
receiver to an operating RS232 link to acquire the data through a simple Y-cable. I don't love to
make a simple thing complicated by adding superfluous hardware.

ivar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back