Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] how to measure 240v with 10x probe

Status
Not open for further replies.
First you have to check, if the probe's voltage rating allows it. Secondly, the oscilloscope attenuator may be unable to display 680 Vpp. Then a 100x probe is required.

The oscilloscope will only see 68V peak to peak with a 10x probe.

Keith

The oscilloscope will only see 68V peak to peak with a 10x probe.
Yes. But if it has e.g. 5V/cm as highest range (which is displayed as 50 V/cm, if it has an automatic probe detection) it can't display 680 Vpp.

I don't know where this 5V/cm oscilloscope has come from, but I was trying to clarify the statement:

... the oscilloscope attenuator may be unable to display 680 Vpp.

which didn't make sense to me, so possibly not to the original poster either.

Keith.

I don't know where this 5V/cm oscilloscope has come from, but I was trying to clarify the statement.
That's good.

To clarify it from my side:
Secondly, the oscilloscope attenuator may be unable to display 68 Vpp respectively 680 Vpp at the probe input. It must have at least a 10 V/cm attenuator position. Many recent oscilloscopes have 5 V/cm as highest voltage range.

Why do you insist that a particular, generic probe must be used?
There are HV probes or you could make your own divider. It's not
like 240VAC mains can't stand a few mA of excess loading, which
you could always back out of any data.

Ok, where do the 680V and 68V come from? Isn't the OP asking for 240V measurement?

Ok, where do the 680V and 68V come from? Isn't the OP asking for 240V measurement?

The voltage specification is not given, if it is an AC voltage then the p-p voltage will be 680v, if it is a dc then it will be 240v

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.