Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to make oxygen. maybe wrong place to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightning r fun

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i don't know if this is the right place to post this or not, but is there a way that i can produce pure oxygen at home?
i know that i can use electrolysis, but i don't know how to separate the hydrogen.

A basic hoffman apparatus is already able to separate hydrogen and oxygen. Technical electrolysis generators (they are more popular for hydrogen generation, e.g. for micro welders or analytical instruments involving a hydrogen flame) are mostly using a diapragm to keep the electrolysis products apart, even over a pressure difference.

See a brief overview of preparation methods:
Oxygen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to prepare Oxygen chemically, Mix 3 parts of potassium Chlorate and one part of manganese dioxide and place in a test tube with delivery tube. Heat the test tube and collect the oxygen by downwards displacement of water.

i don't know if this is the right place to post this or not, but is there a way that i can produce pure oxygen at home?
i know that i can use electrolysis, but i don't know how to separate the hydrogen.

Water is a weak electrolyte, so to do electrolysis, you'd have to use acidic water (diluted with sulphuric acid). But it'd be risky.

In the hydrolysis method the H2 and O2 bubble up at the different electrodes. There is a safety problem in that hydrogen is an explosive gas so you have to make sure that it disperses into the air where there are no flames or hot material.

its not at all hard to prepare oxygen by electrolysis. if the electrodes are properly inserted in galss hood or test tubes and current passed through them, hydrogen and oxygen raises to top, where it gets collected. if a opening is given at top you can safely collect them with out any danger. Hydrogen is twice in volume when compared to oxygem.
Hydrogen by itself is combustible gas, but when its mixed with oxygen and air it becomes explosive.

Yes, pure water is bad conductor of electricity, acid has to be added, but if acid is unsafe add common table salt to it.

The other simple way to make oxygen is to drop 30%or 70% hydrogen peroxide on any silver catlyst. Hydrogen Peroxide immediatelt decomposes into oxygen and water. Its very safe. Same reaction is used in certain hybrid rockets to make oxygen in them.

just suggesting:

use this sofware Yenka..you can learn chemistry using this software..you all so can download for free..
Yenka.com

its not at all hard to prepare oxygen by electrolysis. if the electrodes are properly inserted in galss hood or test tubes and current passed through them, hydrogen and oxygen raises to top, where it gets collected.
how do i separate the oxygen from the hydrogen?

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Water is a weak electrolyte, so to do electrolysis, you'd have to use acidic water (diluted with sulphuric acid). But it'd be risky.
just add baking soda or salt to the water, and you get a ton of bubbles

Chemistry isn't my strong point but couldn't you generate oxygen by reverse osmosis?

I know small amounts of hydrogen can be extracted this way.

jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back