Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HOW TO LEARN PCB FABRICATION AT HOME, i m a beginner!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
swedish learning gigapedia for beginners

hi all,

thx wp100 for being so kind, it m waiting for more info about uv box and i m so intrested getting it on my workbench.

codewiz, thank you for joining and making this topic more instructive. i think we'll learn alot about pcb in here. i ll include all what i learn in this topic. and i hope u do the same thing. at the moment, i focus on learning proteus capture and isis. having done that, i ll start to build the uv box after i got more details from wp100. then i ll start to do some pcbs and tell u all the results. i hope it works.

i m going to check the new links on this page. i tried ur link mr electronicus and its helpful. thx all for sharing ur knowledge.

waiting for u wp100, good luck for u

how to learn how to fabrication

Hi Ahmad,

Project notes almost done, have sent you a PM

english.cxem.com

Hi everybody;
I've dealt with pcb making at home. Sometimes, I achieved good job, but some I've failed. I tried many times toner transfer method. Actually, I can said that, the most important two things are toner and paper.

I print my circuits from different copy center. Their toners are various. Toners of some give good result, but some does not. I've researched many times this point on the internet to get approprite toner and paper, but I have not yet.

I hope this discussion gives us useful information.

I'll upload some pics about successes and fails.

see u.

Added after 39 minutes:

These are my jobs at different date and made with different toner and paper.
First pic is my earlier circuit. Narrow pads was erased by acid. Its toner, however, was good.

Second one was not bad.

This was also good, but pads were wide.

Added after 6 minutes:

This board have wrong toner. This toner behaved as an ink. However, this was toner.

End of pics is this. It was unstable toner. Some part of board was very good, but some of it was very bad.

making pcb using fecl3

wp100 said:
Hi Ahmad,

Project notes almost done, have sent you a PM

recieved.

i read once about using uv lamps or florecent lamps to utilize an expusre box. i dont know if it is applicable for the box u made.

now i m working hard to learn proteus and i found useful short turorial on youtube

i think it ll be useful.
tutorial 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt7Bhhvo-hU
tutorial 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1_Dn8ip5Xs
tutorial 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my8MpvjxMKs

now i m done and i think i m ready to do simple ( very simple, indeed) pcb. the only thing i need is getting that exposure box working!

thx for u all

Added after 17 minutes:

ZynT said:
Hi everybody;
I've dealt with pcb making at home. Sometimes, I achieved good job, but some I've failed. I tried many times toner transfer method. Actually, I can said that, the most important two things are toner and paper.

I print my circuits from different copy center. Their toners are various. Toners of some give good result, but some does not. I've researched many times this point on the internet to get approprite toner and paper, but I have not yet.

I hope this discussion gives us useful information.

thx for sharing

i read alot about toner method and i m trying to use it to produce my first pcb.

i ll try to make one pcb during the comming 2 days and will show u the results.

but i think this method is time consuming comared with other methods. but i think its a good start for beginners like me. i ll try it.

how to remove varnish on pcb

Hi Ahmad and Codewiz,

Here is the full project manual - hope it is of use - happy board making.

you tube pcb fabrication

thx alot wp100

ur help was so important to me as a beginner in pcb fabrication.

i ll let u know of the results.

good luck.

pcb varnish howto

Thanks for manual w100.
It seems good job.

@Ahmad
I wait your results. May it be easy.

fabrication de begnier

Thanks wp100. you are great. Ahmad, i'll post any progress i make.thank for the links. thks all.

pcb photo fabrication tutorial

please, what is the name of the board for the toner transfer? i want to make order. wp100, what is the name of the board for uv method?

videos on pcb fabrication

Hi Codewiz,

Sorry, don't fully understand your question ?

Do you mean for the UV LED board ?
- its intended for you to print out and make your own pcb. You just need to laser print it onto some glossy magazine paper ( not the really thick ones ) and simply iron that onto the copper board.

lern pcb

@wp100. i'm simply asking what is the difference in the name, appearance, cost, etc between the copper board for uv method and that for the toner transfer method. my supplier doesn't know the difference- really funny, so i need to know what i need before buying from him. @Ahmad, please how can i download from youtube? i just don't know how to get those great tutorial video from youtube. never done it before. thanks.

pcb fabrication at home

codewiz,

i m using IDM 5.15 , it allows u to download streaming videos from sites like youtube and metacafe, etc. it also records the flv videos while playing from the site, and once the streaming video reach its end u can click on download button and opps its on ur desktop!! thats a good new option added to idm 5.15. you can find it by simple search on youtube.

about ur question, i think some copper boards arent photo resist. i mean, it doesnt include the material witch cause the copper to chemically change when exposed to uv light.

so, if u tend to use uv method, u must insure that the board u buy is photo resist type. however, if u want to use toner transfer method, it doesnt matter if the board is photo resist or not.

thats what i know

about my progress, the good news is that i familiarizied my self with proteus isis and ares and i designed some layouts using proteus. i designed a FM transmitter layout and its ready. i m waiting now for the chemicals and materials to implement my first pcb using toner transfer method.
i m working also on the uv box and i think it will be finished within two weeks ( depending on the time taken to get the uv lamps)

good luck.

happyboard-manual.pdf

Hi codewiz

i'm simply asking what is the difference in the name, appearance, cost, etc between the copper board for uv method and that for the toner transfer method. my supplier doesn't know the differenc

Sorry about the misunderstanding of the messages.

Not sure of your location but have referenced Farnells India.

The board for toner transfer is just plain single sided coppper board such as this -
**broken link removed**

For the UV method I use these single singled pre sensitied copper boards.
**broken link removed**

While this presensitised board has a good shelf life, try and make sure it is new stock if you are not buying from big suppliers like Farnells.

Added after 8 minutes:

Hi Ahmad,

however, if u want to use toner transfer method, it doesnt matter if the board is photo resist or not.

For toner transfer use only the plain copper boards - it is a fraction of the cost of the presensitised board, which if you did use for toner transfer would probably make a real mess of everything !

Don't hesistate to ask if you are not sure.

pcb fabrication tutorial chloride

thanks alot wp100 and Ahmad. it's nice to know that you are good with proteus isis and ares. i can't wait to get those youtube tutorials. i'll try using the method you described for youtube download.

хомемаде uv led pcb exposure system

Hi Ahmad.
I suggest you to join and sign up in gigapedia.org (an enormous shared E-book set) and search in gigapedia "PCB".
You will find a lot of book that help you to learn anything you want to learn about PCB.

I suggest you this book also.

Complete PCB Design Using OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor
by: Kraig Mitzner
en | Newnes

You can download it and Enjoy.
By

ipc-2221a pdf

hi everyone, im a newbie too...

I have a simple question (sorry if i got to the wrong post, you may report it)

I'm making a pcb etching tank with FeCl. I have the info that we need 1.5 M concentration of FeCl and 70°C water to have an efficient etching. So I took an aquarium and hooked up a small water pump to make the fluid always moving inside the aquarium. But how do we make the water always 70°? considering no metal should enter the fluid tank.

This is not a major concern though, cuz in any temperature the pcb etching still work well enough. Is there any of you that might have made this device or ever seen how a pcb etching device works?

do it yourself pcb fabrication

Hi,

Can I first ask what you are etching - is it copper PCB ?

What you are describing sounds more like industrial etching .

I have the info that we need 1.5 M concentration of FeCl and 70°C

This sounds wrong to me, I'm don't know what is meant by 1.5 M , it is usually a weight of dry mix or volume of concetate fluid to a specific volume of water, which you do not give.

They might be saying use 70C when first mixing the concentrate with water, but for actual etching FeCl is usually recommended to be used at 35 to 40 C.

Using a small glass or plastic aquarium is fine, but most pumps have metalic parts in them that will corrode - FeCl will etch stainless steel easily.

An aquarium heater will work but not at such a high temperature without a special external thermostat.

Assuming you are making normal hobbyist pcbs, then use a plasic tray - like a pet litter tray. again assuming you are storing the FeCl solution in a glass or plastic bottle then put the bottle in a bucket of hot water to heat it up to 40c, then pour it into the tray and etch the board in about 10 -15 minutes before it goes cold.

You can put the tray on top of the bucket of hot water to help keep the temperature up.

You just need to rock the tray to create a gentle wave over the circuit board, lifting ot out every so often to check on its progress. You only need a few cm of fluid over the board - for a board 100mm x 100mm I would use about 500ml of ready to use fluid in a small tray.

Don't forget the rubber gloves and eye protects !

objective pcb fabrication

Hi wp100 & Ahmad.
You guys are awesome. I finally got the videos on my desktop. I can't believe that i finally got a simple project implemented on proteus isis, simulated it and it works exactly as in hardware. I'm so happy. Thanks alot for your guidance and encouragement.

Added after 39 minutes:

Hi wp100 & Ahmad.
You guys are awesome. I finally got the videos on my desktop. I can't believe that i finally got a simple project implemented on proteus isis, simulated it and it works exactly as in hardware. I'm so happy. Thanks alot for your guidance and encouragement.

printed circuit board etching

Hi, wp100. Thanks for ur reply

Yes, it is copper pcbs
No, it's not industrial etching.
It's just a hobby for me and my friends. And sometimes we made a device and sell it. I'm trying to copy the etching machine in my college lab. But surely, we can not open it to understand how it works.

I'm changing the design with air pump (they called it 'airator' or somethin) and lucky me, there's no metal in it. The main objective in using pump so that we dont need to shake it everytime we etch a pcb.

I got the info from a paper in the internet. 1.5 M is the concentration for x gram FeCl and 1 litre of water (sorry, i forgot. i'll post it later). I have tried this method and it works well. I etched a 12x16cm pcb less than 10minutes.

But, you might be right cuz 70° sounds too hot to me. It's a good idea you gave. Putting the tray on the top of hot water. Let me see if i can fit that on my design.

Ofcourse i'm using gloves and eye protects, at the last attempt there's more steam than usual. Thanks.

uv led pcb exposure scanner

Hi iqbalz

Think if you double check the Ferric manufactures datasheet it will be 40c - have used several different types and they all use 35 - 40 c.

A perforated aqaruim air tube in the bottom of a vertical style tank will move the fluid around well, but you need a good lid.

You can use a glass aquaruim heater or possibly an undertank heating mat - but in both cases you will need a suitable thermostat.

A little micro with a temp sensor and a timer would do the job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back