Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to install Linux on laptop with Windows XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrrrr12345

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

My laptop comes with the window XP platform, could I add a Linux platform on to it? How to do so?

Thanks
R

Re: Linux on laptop

1. Use GParted or Partition Magic for re-sizable partition NTFS on hard disk (Partition Editor application) use SystemRescueCd (bootable CD-ROM with Gparted)

2. Install Linux CentOS, or Redhat or debian or ubuntu on hard disk
(before download cd- isos)

or use Live CD linux (ubuntu, knoppix or CentOS)

enjoy

Thanks for your reply, aospinas.

Linux on laptop

you must make ext3 format for Linux drives.
you well partition your hard to 3 drives one for windows and one for swap and one for / for Linux you also can increase you drives number by make one drive for you personal data because ext3 format don't appear in windows and you can make one partition for /usr/local for advanced instillation.
if you don't understand me plz replay.

how to change it to the ext3 format?

deepa said:

It seems that PartitionMagic can change FAT32 to ext3 format.
When you start install Linux, it will tell you to partition the HardDisk,
then you can format it to ext3 too.

Ryan

rrrrr12345 said:
Hi,

My laptop comes with the window XP platform, could I add a Linux platform on to it? How to do so?

Thanks
R

Follow the link this will give you more ideas on how to install linux on you laptop with dual booting.

**broken link removed**

deepa said:

Just begin installing and when ask you partitioning you can choose manual partitioning Just here you can formatting any drive to any format you want.

feel free in asking about any think.

Salam

Thanks very much for all your replies, the information has been useful

Hey guys.. How about Fedora or Sun OS on a Laptop?
Even I'm a bit hesitant in installing Linices or Unices on my laptop..
I dunno if this is true, but i've heard that if once a partition is dedicated to Ext3.. there's no way of retrieving it!!!!
Is this true??

Linux on laptop

No, that's not true. Linux or Unix on a laptop is fine. As long as your hardware is supported.

pnnavigator0915 said:
Hey guys.. How about Fedora or Sun OS on a Laptop?
Even I'm a bit hesitant in installing Linices or Unices on my laptop..
I dunno if this is true, but i've heard that if once a partition is dedicated to Ext3.. there's no way of retrieving it!!!!
Is this true??

I installed fedora on my laptop before and it was very easy as any distribution of LINUX.

Thanks for all the replies.

Further more to my question above, can I install programs, like microsoft office onto Linux platform? Any restrictions in Linux, that I should be awared about before using it? I'm used to windows only before.. but used Linux a couple of times in Uni...

Linux on laptop

You can install a laptop with dual OS's (Windows and Linux). Or you can install Linux with virtual machine in your Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.