Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to install Linux 7.3 on Intel Centrino Platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodMan

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

anyone knows how to install linux 7.3 on Intel Centrino platform?

I want to create a EDA environmen on notebook,
CPU : Intel Centrino
VGA Chip: ATI 9600

Who can help ?

you dont, try RH9, get kernel 2.4.22 and recompile it. I still cant get the dynamic frequency scalling to work so your lapy will run at maximum speed. Also I recomend you enable ACPI, if you cant then dont run LINUX period.

I think RH7.3 is too old for such a powerful platform.

If you want to run EDA tools, maybe you could install Fedora Core 1.

What's the Fedora Core 1?

who can tell me?

The problem is not at Centrino ! It's the VGA Chip . The Radeon 9600 is too new for Redhat 7.3 . I recommend you to install the Mandrake . If you prefer to install Redhat 7.3 , you will have lots problem .

I use the IBM r50 and my VGA Chipset is Radeon 9000 . When i try to install Redhat 7.3 on my laptop , i meet a lot of problems . After i change to Mandrake , everything work well

Ansunamu said:
The problem is not at Centrino ! It's the VGA Chip . The Radeon 9600 is too new for Redhat 7.3 . I recommend you to install the Mandrake . If you prefer to install Redhat 7.3 , you will have lots problem .

I use the IBM r50 and my VGA Chipset is Radeon 9000 . When i try to install Redhat 7.3 on my laptop , i meet a lot of problems . After i change to Mandrake , everything work well

Because I want to install DC and some simulators on my laptop,these tool s can run on Mandrake?

gezzas525 said:
you dont, try RH9, get kernel 2.4.22 and recompile it. I still cant get the dynamic frequency scalling to work so your lapy will run at maximum speed. Also I recomend you enable ACPI, if you cant then dont run LINUX period.

hi, buddy,

how to compile kernel then??

by the way the problem is because of the VGA card.

and I am sure RH9 can solve the problem. But for RH9 I don't know whether all the tools can run. from the posts here it seems that the tools from C@dence should be ok

another thing
if you use SATA harddisk, 7.3 will again have problem, at least one of my friend failed to install 7.3 on his brandnew desktop

Yes . most of the problems are caused by VGA card but some of them are not and not easy to identify .

Yes , you can use Redhat 9.0 or newer Redhat version for sure but you will not be able to install some of the CAD tools

Status
Not open for further replies.