Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to increase the resolution of the DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eshal

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello experts!

How to increase the resolution of the system?
If we increase the number of bit then resolution increase. Am I right?

If so, then please review below example,

Let say we have 8-bit DAC.
Resolution = 1/2^n
put n=8
Resolution = 1/2^8 = 1/256 = 3.9mV/bit

Now, let say we have 10-bit DAC
Resolution = 1/2^n
put n=10
Resolution = 1/2^10 = 1/1024 = 0.976mV/bit

Experts!
What will say, increasing bit does increase the Resolution? If so then why my Resolution at 8-bit is higher than the Resolution at 10-bit? Of course, 3.9mV/bit is greater than 0.976mV/bit. Isn't it?

Thank you.

You are using words without thinking. What is resolution? It's the number of steps the full scale range is divided into. "High" resolution means many steps, so what's the size of a single step compared to low resolution? The step will be smaller.

If so then why my Resolution at 8-bit is higher than the Resolution at 10-bit? Of course, 3.9mV/bit is greater than 0.976mV/bit. Isn't it?

A similar statement would be, a monitor screen with a grid of 640x480 pixels has higher resolution than a monitor screen with a grid 1024x768 pixels, because the 640x480 screen's pixels are larger. :roll:

I guess I should change the resolution of my monitors from 1920x1200 to 640x480. Higher resolution, right? :lol:

BigDog

@FvM
You are using words without thinking. What is resolution? It's the number of steps the full scale range is divided into. "High" resolution means many steps, so what's the size of a single step compared to low resolution? The step will be smaller.
Sorry, I didn't get it. I have wrote in the post#1 exactly what my teacher asked to the student during viva. Sir, one thing, I know High Resolution means many steps. Does Resolution not depend upon bit?

Thank you sir.

I know High Resolution means many steps
Yes. And more steps means the step size becomes smaller, not larger.

Do the pieces become larger when cutting a cake into more pieces?

Now, I got what you are trying to convey to me sir. Your mean by steps is bit, right sir?

I was confused.
Thank you very much sir. Really you are good in electronics work as you have also helped me before on this forum.

I will send you my subject of this semester via Private Message. I am in 6th semester of Electronics Engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back