Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to increase I/O pins in microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

devmania

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to increase the i/o pin in a microcontroller at89c51?
what should i interface and how to do it?

Thank you.

devmania said:
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me how to increase the i/o pin in a microcontroller at89c51?
what should i interface and how to do it?

Thank you.

hi,

you cannot increase the IO pins for 8051 .

but your can use the 8051 micro-controller IO pins efficiently by using a decoder (or) by using few protocols like I2C,CAN, .. and so on.

it is only option

if i/o pins are increased the process will be slow so how to overcome or solve this factor

I think there are two limitations:
- speed of a particular I/O extension, e.g. serial or parallel interface. Use the technique that's adequate for the respective purpose
- total processing capacity. if it's exceeded by the application requirements, change the processor

If you need more I/O pin then use a controller having more I/Os. e.g Pic controllers
come with different number of I/O. 18pin 18f1220 have two I/O ports , 40pin 18f452 has five and 80pin 18f8525 has 11.

Usage of shift registers to add additonal I/Os on board requires more processing time,

You can reduce the processing time by using 8-bit Octal transperent latch (ex. 74ls373) for output port, use 74LS244 for input port, with a decoder (2x4).

Here you need to spare one 8-bit port and two more I/O lines ( to control decoder)

Please let me know if you have still queries.

here is a pic of expansion of i/o port 89c51 controller in this pic you can see clearly white female connector in the center of pcb is input from keyboard (8*12)not seen and on the left side three uln2003 for relay out puts ,chip using 12mhz crstal,and other chips ( x-ray equipment control panel )and lcd connection 16*2

Attachments

• DSC06884.JPG
    DSC06884.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back