Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement long channel device (layout and schematic)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovseed

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing an 14-bit DAC which requires to use long channel devices say w=6.72u l=38u. But the SPICE model just has LMAX=10u, and PDK also has the max length limit of 10u.

(1)I am wondering whether there will be some problem if I use such a long channel device.
(2) And how about the layout? Just draw a long channel or with folded gate as presented in some paper? what will be the advantage or disadvantage?

B.R.

depend on your technology.
you can use snake pdiff, under whole square gate poly.
Such long-channel device is used as linear resistor, right?

Re: How to implement long channel device (layout and schemat

I draw the MOS in series (the SPICE model just has LMAX=10u) when I design circuit POR. Layout fold as schematics.
I don,t know why you use the such device in DAC. Which block you use such device.

lovseed

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
this long channel devive maybe is used as current source for current-steering DAC with very large output impedence.

Re: How to implement long channel device (layout and schemat

jerryzhao said:
I draw the MOS in series (the SPICE model just has LMAX=10u) when I design circuit POR. Layout fold as schematics.
I don,t know why you use the such device in DAC. Which block you use such device.

Some question about draw the mos in series:
(1)for the series , all gate are connected, right?
(2)for all the series, the substrate all connected to vdd(if pmos) or just connect to the source to eliminate body-effect.
(3)if the series number of pmos with w/l is N , does it really equivalent to one pmos with w/(N*l)?

In my view, at least item(2) will make some difference in performance.

B.R

why I am using long channel devices?

I am calculating the min area needed for current source from the INL_yield and foundry mismatch-parameters. And since my design is 14-bit , the w/l ratio is very small for 1LSB, which cause the channel very large.

Hope my description makes things clear.

I got what you said wrt DAC area for unit cell based on INL.
I am also trying to design a 10 bit DAC taking into account INL, DNL and mismatch parameters.
For the 1X unit cell(LSB), I am trying to use two series connected pmos devices.
But I am not able to get the correct value of current. Why ?
With the same biasing circuit I am able to get the correct value of current for 2X LSB cell.

Can anybody give some inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.