Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to implement a counter by only using logic gates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hassanf

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Could do with some help.

Hello I'am kinda new to CPLD programming. I was wondering how to implement a counter that can count fron 0-9 by only using flip-flops and other logic gates. I will be highly oblighed if some-one can point me out to the right direction or offer form any assistance. Thank you.

Re: Could do with some help.

i am not sure really but

u can write the FF code in an HDL (VHDL or verilog)...from any book (cause u must have the internal architecture of the FF...

and make 4 components from that FF (cause u need to have 4bits in order to count from 0 till 9)...then reset all the FF using "and gate" for instance before it counts to 10 (when the count is "1010")...so u should put an inverter before the first and third bits (given that u start with bit zero) in order to have a zero as the and output to reset the FFs...u should know that well if u took logic design...

that is all....good luck

Salma:D

Could do with some help.

This is interesting one! I mean all digigatal stuff will be implimeted using logic gates and flip flops registers, counters and etc.. Could you please be more specific what are you looking?

Regards,

I'am allowed to use flip flop registers and logic gates but not the actual counters itself. I kinda came up with the idea that if I have a 4 bit register with a incrementer it will be a counter. I will include the schematic here I would be highly obliged if someone can point out my mistakes or help me someother way.

For that u have to design a MOD-10 counter which counts from 0-9, i.e 0000 to 1010 each bit repersents a Flip-Flop, as that count changes from 1001 to 1010 on the clk edge AND the O/P of 3 AND 1 st FF (i am counting 3 to 0 FF)and provide it to the input of clr . If any further help is required do feel free .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back