Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get desired values of Delivered Power and PAE of PA using ADS

pusparaga

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have designed Power Amplifier at 2.4 GHz using Cree Transistor CGH40025F in ADS. I am not getting desired output of Delivered Power(Pdel_dBm) and Power Added Efficiency (PAE). I wanted to get desired Delivered Power 41.255 dBm and PAE 56.840. But I have tried a lot. I don't know where I am making mistake. Below I have attached relevant screen shots.
1. Obtained Output
2. Desired Output
3. Schematic
4. Optimum Values of ZS and ZL
5. Datasheet

Attachments

• Desired_Output.jpg
    Desired_Output.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 85
  • Optimum_Value_Zs_and_ZL_Values.jpg
    Optimum_Value_Zs_and_ZL_Values.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Data_CGH40010F.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 76
  • Obtained_Ouput.jpg
    Obtained_Ouput.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 77
Hi,

It seems that in your schematic you don't put the input matching network and the output matching network.
You have to matched the 50Ohm to your Zs (conjugate matching), and also do a power matching to ZL at the output of the transistor.

Also, How did you do the load pull? According to datasheet Zs and ZL at 2500MHz (frequency closed to yours) are a quite different tham your Zs and ZL.

Regards

Dear Friend,
I watched the following Video and designed PA. Exactly I followed steps which he discussed in the Video.
I have already done load pull analysis. From load pull analysis only, I have got optimal Zs and ZL (Screen shot of optimal value of Zs and ZL are shown in posting #1). I have kept optimal values of Zs and ZL at the source and load and am not getting the desired PAE and Power Delivered.

Dear Friend,
I watched the following Video and designed PA. Exactly I followed steps which he discussed in the Video.
I have already done load pull analysis. From load pull analysis only, I have got optimal Zs and ZL (Screen shot of optimal value of Zs and ZL are shown in posting #1). I have kept optimal values of Zs and ZL at the source and load and am not getting the desired PAE and Power Delivered.
OK, maybe your load pull is ok. But I don't see Zs and Zl values included. In Term 2 your Z has to be ZL (not 50Ohm) and at your generator Z has to be Zs.

OK, maybe your load pull is ok. But I don't see Zs and Zl values included. In Term 2 your Z has to be ZL (not 50Ohm) and at your generator Z has to be Zs.
I have attached changed schematic and obtained results.

Attachments

• Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Obtained_Results.jpg
    Obtained_Results.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 59
That is connected for getting stability of the amplifier. Without connecting series 5 Ohm resistor with gate, we will never get stability.
I am not getting solution for my problem.
Then I suppossed that the load pull is done with that resistor. Is it true?
Send pictures of the load pull analysis that you have done.

Have you ever supplied Load and Source Impedances AND the Bias Current that have been mentioned in datasheet ??

1696352328195.png

Then I suppossed that the load pull is done with that resistor. Is it true?
Send pictures of the load pull analysis that you have done.
I have attached screen shots that load pull is done with 5 Ohm resistor.
Have you ever supplied Load and Source Impedances AND the Bias Current that have been mentioned in datasheet ??

View attachment 185260
BigBoss Sir,
I have supplied ZS, ZL and Bias Current as shown in the Datasheet Values. Still I am getting the poor results. One more thing I would like to discuss with you. I have attached the Anurgha Bhargav Practical Power RF Amplifier Design-16 PDF. I have practiced how he has shown in the youtube. Upto Page No. 33, it is working exactly same as he said in the youtube. When it comes after Page no. 34, it is giving poor results and when we have used ZS and ZL optimized values. Anurag Bhargav PDF is attached .
--- Updated ---

I have attached DC Biased screen shots

Attachments

• Load_Analysis_ZS_ZL_Datasheet_Values_Results.jpg
    Load_Analysis_ZS_ZL_Datasheet_Values_Results.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 56
  • Load_Pull_Analysis_ZS_ZL_Datasheet_Values.jpg
    Load_Pull_Analysis_ZS_ZL_Datasheet_Values.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Load_Pull_Analysis_Results.jpg
    Load_Pull_Analysis_Results.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Load_Pull_Analysis.jpg
    Load_Pull_Analysis.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 58
  • Anurgha_Bhargav_RF_Design_16_Tutorial.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 61
  • Data_Sheet_DC_Bias_Values.jpg
    Data_Sheet_DC_Bias_Values.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 58
I think your model i not correct. I have used Wolfspeed's ADS Library and the results are fine with a quick simulation.You should request to Wolfspeed to access customer portal to get this DK.
1696410709973.png

1696410726093.png

I think your model i not correct. I have used Wolfspeed's ADS Library and the results are fine with a quick simulation.You should request to Wolfspeed to access customer portal to get this DK.
View attachment 185271

View attachment 185272
BigBoss Sir,
I am very happy to see your results. You got excellent results. As I said earlier the same transistor is working fine upto Page No.33. Anyhow let me check and get back you.

View attachment 185271

View attachment 185272
BigBoss Sir,
I request Cree Vendor to send the DK of CGH40010F once again. Please can you post archive (do not zip the whole project directory) including Design Kit then save this archive as RAR or ZIP. Please post it here, then I can proceed further design part at the earliest.

I have CG2H40010F zip format transistor model. As you said model may not be installed properly or model might have missed some data while installing. How to install properly this transistor to ADS.

Attachments

• CG2H40010F_Zip_Format.jpg
    CG2H40010F_Zip_Format.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 56
BigBoss Sir,
I request Cree Vendor to send the DK of CGH40010F once again. Please can you post archive (do not zip the whole project directory) including Design Kit then save this archive as RAR or ZIP. Please post it here, then I can proceed further design part at the earliest.

I have CG2H40010F zip format transistor model. As you said model may not be installed properly or model might have missed some data while installing. How to install properly this transistor to ADS.
CGH40010F is different than CG2H40010F.
I don't know what there is in rar file, if there is a DK, unzip it and install using ADS.

CGH40010F is different than CG2H40010F.
I don't know what there is in rar file, if there is a DK, unzip it and install using ADS.
As you told I did. Truly I am getting amazing results. I have modified schematic as you have shown in the previous post and have changed Power Source and Power Load instead of I_Probe at the Source and Load. I am getting same results as you have shown in the previous results graphs. But I am not getting proper efficiency. Efficiency I am getting 9.574E4. It is too large and is unbelievable. Somewhere went wrong. I couldn't understand where I made mistake. If I get the efficiency correct, everything ok.

Attachments

• Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 54
  • Obtained_Results.jpg
    Obtained_Results.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 59
Not SRC1.i , it has to be SRC2.i
Your schematic has different source name. Be careful..
Yes absolutely right. I made change. Now I am getting efficiency nicely and attached below.

Attachments

• Efficiency.jpg
    Efficiency.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 43

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back