how to find the base address of serial port com6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NNewBBie

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i want to open the serial port and to send some data through a c program. with the help of dos functions inportb and outportb i'm able to send and receive data in com port 1 whose base address is 0x03f8.. but i want to transfer data through another serial port which is not actually a serial port but it is a usb to uart converter provisioned serial port. when i tried opening it in the hyper terminal i found that it is com6. but i don't know how to find out the base address of com6...
i think somebody can answer this..
thanx in advance.

regards,
NNewBBie

Windows 7 > Start menu > Device Manager > Find your dedicated port > Open Properties > will be at resources or details

XP > Same: just find Device Manager

First things first, you can not transfer data through a USB to Serial converter using outportb and base address. You have to use a serial port available on mother board. Even a PCI serial port expansion won't work.

If you are creating the program in Windows, use Win32 API. Find details here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810467.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…