Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to estimate the number of via??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakr

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Alsalmo Alykom

Is there is a way to roughly estimate the number of vias in a double layer PCB before placing and routing.

and also can I get no. of vias as function of package used (SMD or through hole, DIP, BGA, etc. )

I need to know no. of vias for cost estimation...

thank you

For a board that has mostly SMD components I'd use

(SMD pin count) / 2

This way you have reserved one via per interconnection.

Sakr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
salam

* for any board it is necessary that u have least vias for ur clock traces. so not more than 2 vias for each clock trace to take it through the critical layers.

* and each signal trace must be taken through vias to travel across the horizontal & vertical traces so i think an average number of vias required per signal trace cannot exceed 4 at worst.

* u ll be knowing the number of nets in ur board

* using a rule of thumb (i think it is kent's rule: refer black magic book- howard johnson,- ground planes and layer stacking chapter) the rule goes like this : u have four quadrants in ur board, the total number of traces that stay within is 50% and the traces that flow out of the quadrant is 50%...

* frm these u can group the traces length wise

* shorter traces take average count of 2 vias

* longer traces take average of 4 vias

* so with these u can calculate the number of vias

...i think im clear

Sakr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I agree with the "electron_boy" , see how many nets there, and consider the pcb size and the quantity of components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back