Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to erase Linux from a PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etherios

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Unistall Linux

I have serious problems with my Linux distribution. Could anyone plz tell me how will i erase Linux from my PC?

Re: Unistall Linux

Format the partition/harddisk or reinstall the Linux again.

if i install a different distribution over the old one, will i have problems?

Install with format the partition to make clean instalation!

boot with DOS
FDISK delete partition
create partition

if you have installed the Linux and windows two OS.
you can boot the used the wiindows floppy disk, and run the
command fdisk/mbr to recover the to recovey the mbr.
and you can restart the windows, used the disk tool to format the linux partion.

or if you just install Linux in you machine.just used the fdisk and other disk tools to repartion the disk.

fdisk /mbr under dos

you can just reinstall new linux ,and overwrite the old

I would still agree with the folks who reccomend a format before the install

format /mbr under dos is the cleanest way to go

pd

yankuangtu said:
you can just reinstall new linux ,and overwrite the old

what does fdisk /mbr or format /mbr do? For example my boot manager GRUB is installed in the MBR of the first disk. But on the rest of this disk is Windows. I have a second disk, part of which is Linux.

hi sutapanaki
using "format /mbr" woll restore the bootstrap for Windows application, no more Linux startup....simply it remove "boot manager GRUB"
and your windows will work again as usuall...but, becare for your O.S., winME will work fine with FDisk, Win2K & XP...you will need bootable CD to recover MBR specially for win2K or XP.

hi, i installed both Linux and Windows XP in my system, at first there was a linux startup which i could choose to enter windows or linux os. After i reinstall windows,there is no linux startup anymore, i can't even access the linux os!! Now i want to format my harddisk( Both windows and linux). What should i do?? I used 5 GB for my linux, now i can't recover that 5 GB!! Somebody, pls help !!!

Unistall Linux

After you have reinstall windows, you would be able to get back the main menu of choosing between linux or windows by doing this at the command prompt.

> linux rescue
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grub_install /dev/hda

Dear crystal, >linux rescue, i entered this command in the command promt but it cant't work. is it under A:\> ? or C:\> ?? I tried to boot from my cd and enter the commands, also can't, pls help me again!!

Do you make a booting floppy disk when install Linux?
I you have, use it to boot. Then use 'grub.......' command listed up.
I you have not, you are caught by trouble. Maybe you could make one from other PC installed Linux. I am not sure.

opps, i domt have any linux bootdisk or linux cd, what should i do now???

Unistall Linux

andreastech,

you boot from normal installation cd (number 1) and type 'linux rescue' when you are asked what to boot. After you have chosen Language and Keyboard layout, you are asked if you want to mount your harddisk system. Say yes.
Now, you system is mounted as /mnt/sysimage. Say 'ok' & now, type "chroot /mnt/sysimage". This would make you run on your already installed system. Now you should be able to run.

If you can't boot from your CD, generally in the "images" or "boot" directory you have files to create the boot diskette. You'll have to use the rawrite utility or similar to this.

Good luck

Unistall Linux

th esafe way is just low-class format and this action can solve all strange porblem

I had the same problem. After I reinstalled windows, the main menu of choosing between os can't be found!
I typed "linux rescue" after booting from normal installation cd (No.1),then I was told "No linux partition found". so, I can't change root to "/mnt/sysimage" :(

crystal said:
After you have reinstall windows, you would be able to get back the main menu of choosing between linux or windows by doing this at the command prompt.

> linux rescue
> chroot /mnt/sysimage
> grub_install /dev/hda

Status
Not open for further replies.