Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to eliminate Gate Ringing of parallel Mosfets ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello dear forum,

If I want to use parallel mosfets in a half bridge to increase output current ,
( I use IR2113 for gate drive )

the mosfets blow up in few minutes after power is ON

I suspect gate ringing becouse
I read about it in some application documents

my question ;
If I use 2 seperate gate drivers for each arm of half bridge , can I eliminate this fault ?

please look at the 2 pictures for what I mean

thank you

Hi
To avoid gate oscillations in mosfets you must use an RLD network across the GS , are you familiar or perhaps i should draw it for you ?

BTW : is your dead time value proper ? your mosfets could be gone due to the lack of proper dead time !

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

hello Goldsmith,

I don't know what is a RLD network
can you add a simple schematic please

thank you

Hi,

I assume:

R = resistor
L = inducance
D = diode

I personally avoid L. Instead i try to make it as small as possible. Often bad layouts increase L, making the circuit to oscillate.
R is a damping device. It is not that critical then L.

Diode is often used for fast switching OFF. This avoids cross conduct problems.
Caused by the R there is a slow (relatively) switchig ON, what reduces ringing and cross conduction problems.

Klaus

can you add a simple schematic

You can search on the Web for the keyword Snubber, although I know as RCD ( resistor, capacitor, diode ).

You can search on the Web for the keyword Snubber, although I know as RCD ( resistor, capacitor, diode ).

I know what is a snubber - there is actually a RCD snubber across Drain - Source in my circuit

besides there is RD in series with Gate in my circuit

only I don't know how to place a L across Gate Driver - Gate - Source network

You might know what a snubber is, but there are many details to learn and control in layout,
YOu must learn to minimize the stray capacitance and inductance as well as the snubber value.

www.ti.com/lit/an/slpa010/slpa010.pdf

This explains the measurement method I described earlier and the use of ferrite (R+L )
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/application-notes/AN/AN-9005.pdf

When I said use the conjugate source impedance , that would be RL added in series to conjugate gate load of RC
If you dont understand "conjugate" ask.

This report defines how to use diode in gate
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Hi and sorry for the delayed answer

can you add a simple schematic please

thank you

As the others said R is resistor and D is diode and L is inductor
Here a good schematic comes :
gate driver.JPG

Sorry but i'm a bit lazy of making some diagrams or schematics so i did it via paint ! ha ha

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.