Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to drive tu-halogen bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

4tuty

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can any one give me a circuit for tungsten halogen bulb driver, i am planning to use replacement bulb this from oceanoptics it cost around $200 but the complete package is around $1000.

I have 12 V adapter, fan and components, I need constant light intensity from the light source

No doubt you looked into the wide range of pricing for halogen bulbs, including less expensive types such as automotive headlamps?

Whatever type you use, I imagine you wish to get a long life of use from it. The goal is to apply sufficient power so that the filament reaches a high temperature. Then the tungsten metal goes through its proper cycle being vaporized and re-deposited.

Discussed in this thread regarding a suitable method to adjust brightness of a halogen bulb.

If I understand right, the tungsten halogen light sources from OceanOptics come with a power supply. I guess they are constant DC voltage sources with current limiting. Most scientific instruments utilizing incandescent lamps that I know are working well with constant voltage supply.

Not very common, but it would be possible to control the lamp with light sensor feedback at a slightly reduced constant intensity.

If I understand right, the tungsten halogen light sources from OceanOptics come with a power supply. I guess they are constant DC voltage sources with current limiting. Most scientific instruments utilizing incandescent lamps that I know are working well with constant voltage supply.

Not very common, but it would be possible to control the lamp with light sensor feedback at a slightly reduced constant intensity.

This is the circuit they have inside their light source it is drived using 12 V DC adapter

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 14.48.52.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 14.48.52.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 83
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 14.50.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-17 at 14.50.57.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 80

As seen from the photo, the light source uses a 5V/2A switching regulator internally. It's an obsoleted Texas Instruments/PowerTrends point-of-load module. The voltage can be apparently fine adjusted by a potentiometer from the rear side. The product manual should tell about the details. You may want to measure the actual lamp voltage with a multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.