Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to do system design and verfication of video decoding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eexuke

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to do system design?

Hi,
I want to do system design and verification of a video decoding system. How can I start from the scratch? Any informations, websites or books recommended? I decide to use SystemVerilog to do this task,how do you think?

Many thanks in advance!!

How to do system design?

System verilog!!!!! are you planning for Synthesis or just for system design and modelling..

rgds

How to do system design?

any simulator fully support system verilog now? IMHO, before there is such a simulator, it is hard to use systemverilog as the verification langurage.

Re: How to do system design?

I only want to do system simulation. About synthesis, I prefer to use verilog. I've heard VCS 7.0 or Modelsim 6.0 supports systemverilog, is that true?

eexuke said:
I only want to do system simulation. About synthesis, I prefer to use verilog. I've heard VCS 7.0 or Modelsim 6.0 supports systemverilog, is that true?

You're right. As I know, VCS 7.0 or Modelsim 6.0 already support system verilog. You can easily use them as normal.

How to do system design?

i think matlab is good for you

jinruan said:
i think matlab is good for you

Matlab? I think it is too high level to use. How can matlab mimic necessary informations such as clock?

How to do system design?

only for system simulation and verification u can use system c.

How to do system design?

I think SystemC can help you a lot

eexuke said:
Hi,
I want to do system design and verification of a video decoding system. How can I start from the scratch? Any informations, websites or books recommended? I decide to use SystemVerilog to do this task,how do you think?

Many thanks in advance!!

If you want to do system design, SystemC is much more suitable than SystemVerilog.

bluebyte said:
eexuke said:
Hi,

Many thanks in advance!!

If you want to do system design, SystemC is much more suitable than SystemVerilog.

SystemC is a good choice if u r familiar with C language.
Matlab is too high to do system level design. But if u only wanna verify the algorithms, Matlab is easy.

Iit might be good idea to use sverilog for design and systemc for verification.

How to do system design?

SystemVerilog is not intendeed to be used for system-level modeling.
SystemC is language for you. You don't need any expensive tools in beggining (Some C++ debugger and waveform viewer are enough).
If you are talking about H.264 decoder:
- start with existing JM reference SW is OK. You need to rearange this (or rewrite in C++ to avoid C/SystemC mixing) to clearly separate functions and do profiling to help you decide about HW/SW partitioning.
- after that you need to decide about interfaces between HW modules, make SystemC wrappers around existing C++ classes (if possible, to simplified maintenance of 2 models) and imoplement those interfaces (use aproximate timing modeling). Notice that C++ model remains golden for your SystemC model all the time and both of them need to be maintained.
- make several iterrations in SystemC until you find arhitecture which satisfied your needs. Develop firmware in parallel (you don't need to choose exactly which embedded processor you will use still, except if you are going with some fancy stuff like Tensilica/Arc)
- when SystemC model is stable you could start with HDL writting. If you have nc-verilog and nc-systemc licenses you could simply replace any module in your SystemC model with Verilog and it will work (SystemC-Verilog co-simulation). Notice that you don't need to have separate block-level test environments what is great benefit. Yor SystemC model remain golden for your SystemC-Verilog co-simulation all the time.
- before go to FPGA prototyping perform gate-level (post-synthesis simulation in your SystemC environment)
- develop appropriate custom FPGA platform

eexuke

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
How to do system design?

I strongly agree with andromeda.

SystemC is the right choice.

SystemC will help design's quick closure a lot.

After design is stable, converting it to verilog is simple.

How to do system design?

Systemverilog is a good choice.
You could do system design and verification using it.
And also you could do RTL coding using it.

system c is very good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back