Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to discharge high voltage in tv tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elits

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to discharge a tv

Hi all,
Yesterday my color TV getting trouble. I want to check it by my self. But, my friend ever told to becarefull when we repair the TV coz there is high voltage in the tube of TV eventhough we have unplug the main power . Is it true? So, Is there any way to discharge those high voltage from the TV tube? better if there is picture..
Thanks.

Elits

discharge tv tube

I've worked on a couple of tv's. I never tried to discharge any tubes, but I would go around and discharge any large capacitors which could be dangerous. To do that I just use a good screwdriver with an insulated handle and connect it across the terminals of the cap. ***This probably isn't the correct way, but I'm still alive***

how to discharge tv tube

Hi Elits,

First you disconnect the TV from the mains.
Solder a long 10 k resistor to a ground wire and connect it to the chassis
ground. Slide the resistor under the rubber insulator until it touches the
anode and keep it there for a few seconds. Remove the high voltage cable
and connect the resistor or a ground wire back to the anode. You don't
need to use insulated pliers to do that, just hold the resistor where it is
connected to the ground potential of the chassis.
If you want to dispose of the picture tube, you use a pair of pliers and cut
in the plastic between the pins. Use old blunt pliers, you have to break the
glass, not the plastic. All the tiny fragments of glass should remain inside
the plastic.
If you're having a bad day, you could hit it firm behind the deflection coils
with a large screwdriver, the neck will come straight off.
As you can see, I'm still alive !

on1aag.

how to discharge a tv tube

I am not sure if a resistor is the way to go .. not many are rated for such high voltages ..
Ty this:
The proper way to saftly discharge a crt would be to take a screwdriver perferably a flat tip and connect a cliplead to the screw driver and clip the other end to the ground strap. Carefully slide the screwdriver up UNDER the cup on the crt till you reach the middle of the tube as you will feel it as it wont go any farther. In the meantime you might hear a pop sound and that would be the dischargeing of the tube.. Keep that screwdriver in place a min. of 30 to 40 secs. then remove . Then pinch the cup the oppisite direction on both sides that the wire is running as the cup is held in place by a small hooks on both sides Be carefull not to rip off the cup or bend the small hole suround that the cup is attached.

Cited from:
https://www.fixya.com/support/t102453-discharge_tv_tube

Regards,
IanP

discharge picture tube

Elits said:
Hi all,
Yesterday my color TV getting trouble. I want to check it by my self. But, my friend ever told to becarefull when we repair the TV coz there is high voltage in the tube of TV eventhough we have unplug the main power . Is it true? So, Is there any way to discharge those high voltage from the TV tube? better if there is picture..
Thanks.

Elits
Usually there is no need to discharge TV picture tube. Even if you really need to remove HV cap from the tube, you can do it carefully without getting "zaped" by the high voltage. :) And even if it bites you, it is totaly harmeless, just unplesent feeling. You should be much more worried about mains section of a TV set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back