Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to determine the small-signal voltage gain of diff. amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohazaga

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Determining Av by sim.

Hi
I hope every body are ok , well , how we determine the small-signal voltage gain (Av) of diff. ampl. by sim. ? (using sim. , what method should be followed? )
thankx

Re: Determining Av by sim.

place an ac source at one input with the value 0.5
Place another ac source with the value of -0.5 at the other input

Run ac analysis and find the gain by simply plotting the differential output

Hi ,,,
thank you for reply , when i did that ( no dc , only ac , as you said?!) , the y axis is by mvolt where the x-axis is freq. , the curve which come out has max. 566mvolt , so what dose it means?
is that the Av of the diff. ampl. ? , for both output of the result is same vo1 and vo2 .
even vary the NMOS (it's aspect ratio) which the input connected to it's gate , max. it's not reach 1 volt ?!
can you explain farther ?
I attach the ckt for more detail.
thankx

I didn't mean you should remove dc source

what I meant is to add an ac source in series with your dc bias sources. One of the ac sources has a agnitude of 0.5 and the other -0.5 . Then you should monitor vo1-vo2

Hi ,,,
The result is attached , the max is 800m volt , is that the Gain?
vo/vi=Gain?
could explain , please ?
thankx

This is the gain yes...

However, there is a couple of notes:

1. The bias of the input pair is too small. Did you make sure these transistors are in saturation?
2. The load is an active load => output dc point is unspecified. See the output dc point. You'll probably find it near vcc or ground. This ciecuit needs a common mode feedback.

hi ,
ok , I increase the dc-baising voltage to 550mv , it;s ok , but as i increase the NMOS W , to get more gain it's not go beyond 3 as Wn reashs 30 times min. Wn with Is=10uA? which mean too much output cap.
where is witten that Av can be 4-5?
how ?
thankx

What is the DC voltage of the outpit node?

Hi
the dc-voltage of the output node is 1.5 v for 1.8 Vdd , it's varying from 1.5 to 1.8 according to switching voltage for two inputs . each time one is coducting.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back