Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to determine the dielectric constant of egg tray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

opticfibering

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i am doing a project, then i need to know the dielectric constant of the egg tray (the one with the paper) before proceed to simulation. is it have same dielectric constant of paper? or it is different? i hope someone can help me.
if the egg tray mix with the carbon or graphite, as i know the graphite dielectric constant for epsilon=12, mue=1, how to calculate the dielectric constant of if both are mix?

thanks in advance.

From memory, an egg tray is a 3 dimensional device. Do you mean the dielectric constant when an egg tray is put between two plates of a capacitor (1 % more then the air value?), or the dielectric constant if the surfaces were coppered plated (two plates of a capacitor) and the result measured between them. If you weigh the egg tray, and measure the average thickness, then you can work out its surface area. Find out which sort of plastic its made from, look it up from a table.
Frank

thanks chuckey.
i m doing an EM wave absorber, the material is egg tray (the one made from recycle paper not the plastic) that will mix with the egg tray together. now i have the problem on dielectric constant, if the value put wrongly, the simulation might affected the result.

Last edited:

From Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_capacitor) the permitivty of the paper used in paper capacitors is 3.5 -5.0. As this is within the range of errors you will find in trying to calculate the egg trays surface area and thickness. I would just take it as 4.
Frank

This paper discusses the dielectric constant in paper:
http://users.df.uba.ar/sgil/physics_paper_doc/papers_phys/e&m/dielectr_const_2k4.pdf

As the dielectric constant is dependent of frequency, moisture content, and others. This paper explains the measurements that can be done at microwave.
**broken link removed**
Also explains other mechanisms of dielectric looses (see page 10) that are probably more relevant for a wave absorber.

You can do a simple test of absorption by placing the material in a microwave oven to see if its temperature rises. Although the oven operates at a fixed frequency probably optimized for water molecules. It may help you to compare different materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back