Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to determine ∫x^xdx ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duron999

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to determine .......

what is the answer ???
please show the step, thanks !

Re: How to determine .......

dazhen said:
See the solution attached.

i think the one u wrote is not right..

d(x^x) = x * x^(x-1) + x^x * log(x)

u applied only the x^n rule... what abt n^x rule? where n is constant.. u have to assume both the rules i mean... assuming x in the base as constant and x in the power as constant... and

to my knowledge, there s no answer for it. there are no integral s that exist for functions that osciallate too much or diverge at very faster rates.. if u could plot the function using matlab or mathematica or maple, then u could see how fast it diverges. i have read this in "fundamentals of calculus" by thomas and finney.

/Am

arunmit168 said:
dazhen said:

u applied only the x^n rule... what abt n^x rule? where n is constant.. u have to assume both the rules i mean... assuming x in the base as constant and x in the power as constant... and

to my knowledge, there s no answer for it. there are no integral s that exist for functions that osciallate too much or diverge at very faster rates.. if u could plot the function using matlab or mathematica or maple, then u could see how fast it diverges. i have read this in "fundamentals of calculus" by thomas and finney.

/Am

Yes, I think you're right about it.

arunmit168 said:
dazhen said:

/Am

someone told me that x^x = e^(xlnx) , can i find solution ???

i think this is how it goes..
lemme give it a shot..

x^x = e ^ (xlogx)

here (xlogx) = LOG (x^x)

x^x = e ^ log (x^x)

let (x^x) = y

x^x= e log(y)

= y

therefore

x^x = y = x^x

this is wot i guess u want to conclude with..

confused :d

anyway with regards,

Don't waste your time,this is an expression that is notorious for not having a closed form solution.

This function does not have an elementary integral, just as e^(x^2) and sin(x)/x do not.

Yo can stimate it using Riemann sums, Simpsons method or any standard method of numerical integration.

"there are no integral s that exist for functions that osciallate too much or diverge
at very faster rates.. if u could plot the function using matlab or mathematica or maple, then u could see how fast it diverges. i have read this in "fundamentals of calculus" by thomas and finney. "

This is not true! x e^(x^2) is growing more quickly than x^x and it has an elementary antiderivative!

M.

mmatica said:
"there are no integral s that exist for functions that osciallate too much or diverge
at very faster rates.. if u could plot the function using matlab or mathematica or maple, then u could see how fast it diverges. i have read this in "fundamentals of calculus" by thomas and finney. "

This is not true! x e^(x^2) is growing more quickly than x^x and it has an elementary antiderivative!

M.

i might not have put the words properly which is so important for math! :) i remember having seen 3 conditions for an integral not to exist. dont remember them exactly. will reply with those points again!

/Am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back