Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] How To Detect AC 230V 50Hz supply using EL817 Optocoupler?? circuit please

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaha2014

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello friends i am designing a ckt which will detect presence of mains (230V ac) is it possible to desing using EL817 optocoupler?? what all components to be attached at input of optocoupler for safety?
can any1 show e a ckt for this??
at the output side i am going to use 8051 uC

Drop down 230 V to say 5V and use a diode to convert this to DC. Now using a resistor in series connect it to input of opto. When AC is present opto output will keep 8051 pin high. If AC is absent then 8051 will sense low. Use External interrupt of 8051 to sense the presence.

will this ckt work?? opto.png

R1=R2=22k 2 watt..

whether it will blow the optocoupler ??
please help...
because agin i will need transformer and rectifier ckt to covert 230V to 5v, i want to avoid it.

I used this circuit with PC817 opto before, it will solve your problem. I think it will work. But if any problem, only you need to change 1.5M resistor according your opto's LED current limits.

main voltage detector.jpg

hello,

will this ckt work??
R1=R2=22k 2 watt..
whether it will blow the optocoupler ??
please help... .

Reverse diode is usually not included into the photocoupler and must be added..
this could be work ...
without transform this output as DC average...

I suppose you will send the square 50Hz signal into a timer ,
with a timeout of 20mS to detect missing AC Power suplly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back