Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dann11

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How should I choose a magnetic wire to use for my transformer? If I want to design a step up transformer with turns ratio of 1:6, and must must work at 50KHz frequency?

it is also important to consider the relationship of the frequency and current? like for example the table from the below link..

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

You have a certain Ampere level going into the primary. Select the wire gauge from the chart, which safely carries it as a bundle (not as a lone wire in open air).

As the cycle begins, current level rises in your primary. You want the primary to have a certain Henry value, which allows Amperes to rise to the desired level during the first half of the cycle. The correct number of turns is whatever creates this Henry value, with your core.

A straightforward way to do this is to wind one turn, measure Henry value with one turn, then calculate how many turns create your desired Henry value.

- - - Updated - - -

The wire should be the type called magnet wire. Enamel coated.

Based on your step up ratio, your secondary can be a thinner gauge. The chart tells you what size safely handles the Amperes.

You can expect to add & remove turns from both sides of your transformer, until you get the desired performance. It's a good idea to make it as easy as possible.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back