Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design a opamp for this kind of charge pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhangljz

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am designing a charge pump for PLL, and this is the structure I want to use. But for this charge pump, it has 2 loops: positive and negative loop, to ensure the stability, the gain of negative loop should be larger than the positive loop gain.

But I have no idea how to design such am amplifier. Anyone can give me some clue?

Thanks you charge pump1111111111.jpeg

I must confess, I don't get the idea of using an OP at first sight. The loop has only stable operation conditions if VCP is buffered by a capacitor, which isn't the usual charge pump operation. Otherwise it's permanently affected by switching transients.

Secondly, I don't see the need to get perfect current source matching for a charge pump. Current isn't but a PLL gain factor not more, no less.

It's not the amplifier's responsibility: you have to care for lower |gain| in the positive loop (M8 - VCP loop) by some asymmetry between the 2 gain loops: the VCP node (incl. its load) must have a lower impedance than the VR node.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back