How to delay a pulse (1-400Hz @ 12V) from 0.1mS to 1mS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx5

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
4538 delay

Hi,

anybody have idea how to delay a pulse (1-400Hz @ 12V) from 0.1mS to 1mS??

thanks!

pulse delay circuit

Two monostable multivibrators. The first detects the leading edge on the input pulse and outputs a pulse of the desired delay length (0.1mS - 1.0mS). The trailing edge on the first monostable's output triggers the second monostable, and that outputs a pulse with the same length as your original pulse. This assumes that your input pulse has a fixed width, even though the frequency varies (1Hz-400Hz).

Ken

Pulse delay

Ken,

I wonder if it can be done with a two 555's wired as monostable??

Re: Pulse delay

What is the input pulse period, and direction...+>->+ or ->+>- ?

Ken

Pulse delay

+12V/GND pulses... snappy turn on/off(schmitt like) more of the GND, than positive pulses...

Ralph

Ralph,

Again...is the positive or negative period of the signal a fixed width (for example: 1.0mS positive for a any frequency between 1Hz and 400Hz.)? Or. is it like a square wave where the periods of both the positive and negative portions vary with the frequency. This makes a big difference!

Ken

rx5

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Pulse delay

Ken,

OH I see...sorry... well, its from a signal pulse(from ignition pulser) so width of positive(or negative) varies ... pulse width will be shorter in duration at higher frequency(400Hz) ... its mainly a "positive" pulse...

EDIT: I have found such a circuit already (googled) 4538

thanks a lot for the help!!

actually, this is just PART of what I want to experiment on... as frequency INCREASES, the pulse delay would INCREASE and vice versa... need a way to inversely affect pulse delay timing resistor....

Ralph

This definately will not work with my approach.

How will the 4538's delay time change with the change in input frequency?

But it might ba a job for a microcontroller like a PIC. The signal rate is slow enough that it could even be handled by an interpreted BASIC chip like a PICAXE. Is it possible for the system to delay the output one full pulse cycle before it outputs a delay, so it knows how long the pulse is, and adds a lookup-table defined delay to the beginning and end next pulse and subsequent pulses?

Ken

KMoffett said:
How will the 4538's delay time change with the change in input frequency?

Ken

thats HOW I am going to figure out.. maybe use an LED/LDR.. many ways.... I think its much simpler for a PIC...

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…