Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to define or calculate the DAC output noise floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karote

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to define or calculate the DAC output noise floor? The intention is to produce 100 MHz real IF out of the DAC. I would need to konw the noise floor, since it affects the noise level at antenna.

Is there a specific parameters in the DAC datasheet from whic I could calculate the noise floor?

Re: DAC noise floor

The total noise will be about 6N dB below full scale where N is the number of bits. It will be spread out from DC to half the update frequency.

Its is just one of the things that affects your noise floor. Nrmally you far out phase noise of the PLL will be more dominant ... taht's what I have usually seen.

6N gives the SNR for Nyquist ampling, normall DACs are over sampled, then you need to add the contribution due to oversampling.

BRM

Any source/reference how to calculate the affect of over sampling to the noise floor?

Thanks.

I don't see that oversampling is implied with usual RF or video DAC.

To my opinion, spurious-free dynamic range (SFDR) would be a common measure to describe the noise floor. Apart from quantization noise that defines the theoretical noise minimum for an ideal DAC , nonlinearity is the major contribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back