Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to decode/emcode and compress/decompress NTSC/PAL video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Port Map

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm on designing two project.
in 1'st Project I want to capture an analog video with PAL/NTSC format and convert it to digital then compress digital data to MPEG4 or H.264 or Motion JPEG.
In 2'nd project In want to decompress digital video and encode it to NTSC/PAL.

please tell me, is there any board that can be used?
is there any open core for doing compression and decompression in that formats?

please give me some good points to start.

There are boards you can install in a computer, which capture video from a vcr, camcorder, etc.

However when you state PAL/NTSC format, it raises the question whether it is modulated, as for broadcast TV. I believe audio is incorporated into the signal. Therefore you must make certain that you purchase a board which is compatible with the signal from your source.

Once a video file is on your hard disk, you would run it through a video conversion programs Some are free. (Example, I use one called USBVision Exporter on my PowerMac, to convert mov to avi.)

You'll need to check specs to make sure a program outputs the format you want.

For the second half of your project, the same question from above applies. You can output analog video which is RF modulated, or unmodulated.

It depends on what equipment you are playing it on. If you have an old-fashioned analog TV, then it needs an RF modulated signal. (I believe this is the PAL/NTSC format.) In the USA, this would be on channel 3 or 4. Audio must be incorporated into the signal as well.

However newer equipment will be able to accept a 'composite' video signal. And still newer equipment might accept a better quality video such as S-video, and the type with separate chroma and luminance signals. These are analog signals. You would send the audio on a separate cable.

A digital monitor will produce better results than an analog monitor, when playing back a digital signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.