Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to deal with switching noise of a transistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeman

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Switching noise

Hi all,

I have a circuit that a transistor is driven by a microcontroller I/O PIN.
The transistor is a BD436 PNP 20V 4A.

I have a 1K pull up resistor followed by 56R base resistor.

The transistor switches at about 1 Khz.

But instead of a clean pulse I have lots of pulses jumping around.

The circuit works as expected, but, why the scope dont show a clean pulse ?

Can someone point me to a formula to calculate the correct values ?

Do I have to add some capacitor in the base ?

Thanks in advance

Joaquim

Re: Switching noise

Suggestion: try first to discover uC output ... i think that this part must be ok but first try ... and post result after that ... will see ...

bye!

Added after 3 minutes:

Diksi said:
Suggestion: try first to discover uC output ... i think that this part must be ok but first try ... and post result after that ... will see ...

bye!

ok i must add ... check output without a transistor 1. and check output with base resistor connected over one diode to gnd 2. i hope that we will be have more information after this simple testing .. :) bye!

Driving a power transistor of low β directly from a microcontroller pin is not a very good idea. In your case you have 56Ω resistor between the micro pin and the base of the BD436, so you are trying to sink >80mA. Usually a microcontroller can sink some mA but not 80 or more ..
What you should do is to add a small signal transistor in "darlington" configuration and this one will drive your BD ..
If you do the above the resistor values can be changed to 10kΩ+ pull-up and 1-4.7kΩ base ..

IanP said:
Driving a power transistor of low β directly from a microcontroller pin is not a very good idea. In your case you have 56Ω resistor between the micro pin and the base of the BD436, so you are trying to sink >80mA. Usually a microcontroller can sink some mA but not 80 or more ..
What you should do is to add a small signal transistor in "darlington" configuration and this one will drive your BD ..
If you do the above the resistor values can be changed to 10kΩ+ pull-up and 1-4.7kΩ base ..

yes its same like my idea ... only I havent idea about this transistor(i havent time to check in catalogue) ... it must be it ...

bye!

Hi codeman!

Some µC reduce the output current after a while like C166 from Infineon. The higher inital current helps to drive the load capacitance.

I suggest you to use a Mos transistor like the BST72.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back