Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to deal with multiple clock frequencies in my Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh_letters

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

What are the options to deal with multiple clock frequencies in my design? Say, I receive data at a perticular frequency, I need to process the data and send it to an output device operating at different clock frequency. I guess one way to do it is by using FIFO. What are the other options?

Thanks

You can use double flip-flops.
The received data is input to a flip-flop. The output of this flip-flop is the input of a second flip-flop. The output of the second flip-flop is the output data you sample.
The first flip-flop has the first clock frequency and the second flip-flop the other clock frequency.

adap said:
You can use double flip-flops.
The received data is input to a flip-flop. The output of this flip-flop is the input of a second flip-flop. The output of the second flip-flop is the output data you sample.
The first flip-flop has the first clock frequency and the second flip-flop the other clock frequency.

can this really work?
what if the first clock of FF is faster than the second clock of FF?

If you want to transfer data between clock domains, do not doubt, a FIFO is your solution.
If you need to communicate p.e. a fast clock FSM with a slow clock FSM, the signals must be active for more than one period.

Double-Port RAM is also OK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back